Lathe problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allmaclean

Hi,

Hope this is the correct forum.

I have a HF 10 x 18 mini lathe. The threads on the tail stock that accept the locking lever have stripped. Lever won't lock in place. Looking for best way to repair, without investing too much.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Allan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Hi,

Hope this is the correct forum.

I have a HF 10 x 18 mini lathe. The threads on the tail stock that accept the locking lever have stripped. Lever won't lock in place. Looking for best way to repair, without investing too much.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Allan

Get a Heli-coil from the hardware store. This can give you new threads. I think HF sells them also.

frank123

Should be able to drill and tap to the next larger size. Alternatively, drill oversize and plug with a soldered in piece of steel bar, drill and re tap to original size and thread.

allmaclean

Thanks. Was just reading up on this and I think it is the way I will go.

Mechanically, I guess the lock lever just stops the tail axis from rotating. It does not act to tighten the tail stock taper etc.

Thanks

Allan

allmaclean

Thanks. That was something I was thinking if it was possible. My background is more electronic and wood rather than mechanical. Every problem/fix is a learning experience. Even to figuring out what size hole and thread count is a task.

Thanks for the suggestion

Allan

ken helm

thread repair

try a helicoil this is a repair which involves drilling the hole out and cutting a thread to take the coil and inserting a helicoil which looks like a spring it will give you back the original size thread , you might be able to find a garage or motorcycle repair shop who will do the repair for you if not try an engineering supplier who sell the kit good look

allmaclean

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I used as Heli-coil and it worked perfectly. Now back up.

Thanks again.

Allan

Top Bottom