Lathe maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Just did mine. Completely disassembled, cleaned, and waxed. Like a new machine! Definitely waited too long to do this. The quill now turns like butter! Below is the cleaned lathe and the first pen off it.

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 116
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I just had to clean mine as was in storage for over a year. I still need to take the cover off and check for anything in there and the belt. Does anyone use belt dressing on their lathe belt?

EricRN

I just had to clean mine as was in storage for over a year. I still need to take the cover off and check for anything in there and the belt. Does anyone use belt dressing on their lathe belt?
I've never used it. What's it for?

monophoto

Never heard of it.

But I have found that it's a good practice to have a few spare belts on hand - they seem to last forever, but then start clicking just as you are starting a major project.

bsshog40

Belt dressing comes in a spray can mostly designed to spray on your automobile belts to keep them from drying out and rotting sooner. I use it on my lawnmower belts and they seem to last longer. Haven't tried it on my lathe belts yet as I ran out. Lol

BULLWINKLE

I bought a link belt. You adjust size to fit. Less vibration and it doesn't take the shape of the pulleys when not in use.

Top Bottom