Lathe Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Navygirl

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Shop Fox 1/3 hp Benchtop Wood Lathe, with a set of chisels. I tried to turn a pen yesterday but the slightest touch of the chisel stopped the movement of the wood. Anybody got any tips on what I'm doing wrong? It has 3200 rpm..:eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

If it is just the wood that stops turning, that means the tailstock is not tight enough.

If the entire lathe stops, it is a loose belt.

Additionally, if you are using a pen mandrel and bushings, the brass retaining nut may not be tight enough.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will add two things that I learned on my first turnings nearly 20 years ago that I have not forgotten:
1. The chisels do not usually come from the factory as sharp as they should be for turning;
2. Turning a blank from square to round is more of a "process" than a single step; take small bites, just barely nibble at the edges until round.

These do not negate the others steps mentioned above.

ren-lathe

See exactly what stops turning. Is it the entire mandrel? If so it may not be seated in the spindle completely, or there is foreign matter in the taper. A little grease may be in there especially on a new lathe. if the spindle stops then you have a loose belt if the wood is stopped but the mandrel & spindle are still turn the the nut on the mandrel is to loose. Remember though it can be over tightened. As stated earlier sharp tools are a must.

Last edited:

monophoto

I have the same lathe. My experience with it has been very positive. Yes, it's inexpensive (as lathes go) and perhaps slightly underpowered, but you can still do a lot of creative work with it.

Now, tell us more about what you are doing and what is going wrong? Are you using a pen mandrel? If so, does the headstock spindle continue to spin when the wood stops moving? If so, then you need to tighten the knurled nut on the mandrel. Is your mandrel adjustable? If so, make sure that it is locked to the correct length so that actually can tighten the knurled nut. Oh, and be sure that you don't tighten the tailstock too much - it should be tight enough that the live center spins with the mandrel, but not so tight that the mandrel tries to bow out.

If your problem is that the entire spindles stops rotating along with the wood? When this happens, where are you on the speed range of the lathe? When turning pens, you need to be in the upper half of the speed range. The ShopFox uses a variable-voltage speed control scheme - that's fine, but the flaw in that technology is that the torque is reduced at the lower end of the speed range. Running at higher speeds will give you more torque, and to do the initial roughing cuts, you need torque. And you also need to be coming into the cut very gently. I have to keep reminding myself that wood turning is not a contact sport, and you have to be gentle and patient. Take light cuts until you learn more about how the wood and your tools respond.

Are your tools sharp? Dull tools won't cut, and when the tools don't cut, the natural tendency is to force them into the wood. Your tools should cut without the need to force them into the wood.

I won't rule out the possibility that there could be a problem with your lathe (a loose belt is a possibility, but there are worse possible explanations), but before jumping to that conclusion, you need to make sure that the problem isn't one of technique.

IPD_Mr

Thanks to all of you!!! It was not tight enough, and I am also having my chisels sharpened as well!!

Glad to hear you found the problem. As for "having" your tools sharpened, might I suggest that in the future you learn how to sharpen them yourself. This could save you a lot of money over time. There are some materials that we turn that require the tool to be sharpened several times on one blank because of the hardness of the material.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I agree that learning to sharpen one's own chisels is a big plus. I am one who usually sharpens or at least touches up a chisel at least once or twice and usually more on a single blank. Having a continuously sharp tool is a huge benefit.

Top Bottom