Lathe help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spinnerbayt

Long story short... My neighbour passed away about 18 months ago and his family gave me this lathe that was in his garage. Well, at least its part of a lathe. It has no markings or info on it that I can find. Is it worth trying to find a motor and get it going or just give it to a scraper? I can take more photos if needed. All I have right now is a cheap HF lathe so this would let me do much larger projects if its worth saving.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Do you enjoy restoring old equipment for the challenge of making it work??

Had one of those single tube lathes years and years ago. Was a poor to fair spindle lathe. Not much good for things larger than boxes.

Non-current-norms for tooling. 3/4 by 10 or 3/4 by 16 threads and no morse tapers.

You will have to rig up a tool rest

Could be fun if you like spending time on such things.

dogcatcher

It is an old Sears Craftsman tube lathe. The threads are 3/4-16 and it has a 1MT Taper. A poor excuse for a starter lathe but if you buy accessories with that in mind, namely PSI chucks with adapters you could make it work. But without a motor, the banjo or a tool rest I would skip it.

low_48

Cut down the tube and make it into a buffing machine or something like that, it's horrible as a lathe. No banjo or tool rest, you wouldn't want to invest money into that thing.

Top Bottom