Lathe dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GCS

Hi Everyone,

I posted a 2 part video on Youtube today which shows my homemade lathe dust collection system. The link to part 1 is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHsApnZ01N4

or search for "Lathe Dust Collector". My Youtube user ID is gcs92081.

This system works great for turning and sanding pens and other lathe projects.

Thanks,
Glenn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GCS

BTW, what about noise levels?
D
The noise level is moderate, probably less than a full size dust extractor. You can still hear my voice in the video with the fan turned on. The fan is enclosed in a box so that helps with noise reduction. I have a very small space in the garage to work, so this is a good solution for me.

dgscott

Thanks -- I'm in the process of building a new shop, about 12 feet square. My wife will have the room next door as a studio, and I don't want to blow her away with noise. I've been looking for a dust solution, but it seemed to me that all the commercial collectors were pretty bulky, and fairly noisy. This may be my answer.
Doug

GCS

Doug,
The big fan may be overkill for the actual airflow needed. I just got this fan on sale at HD. I am building another filter box with a smaller squirlcage blower to see how it works. If you have a small lathe you could use a common household boxfan on low setting like I did in the beginning. Just be sure to make the shroud around the front of the filter.

Glenn

Last edited:
Top Bottom