Lathe Cabinet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Well I've been debating back and forth before spending the money on which to build. Should I build a cabinet like the mini lathe stand featured in shop notes?

or should I build a wall cabinet similar to this:
attachment.php

If I built the wall cabinet I would just build a small stand out of 2x6 construction lumber for the lathe itself.

What is your opinion and why?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

In that case, really like the wall cabinet. It looks to be more universal and better use of space. Just my .02.

arjudy

I guess it depends on what you will be turning. If you want to turn small bowls or hollow forms you might want a heavier stand than just 2x6 lumber. If you're going to turn pens only then go for the wall cabinets.

Last edited:

jfoh

If you make the wall rack think about adding a light under the cabinet. You never can have too much light when turning and a light behind and above will give you a better view of what you are doing.

jwoodwright

Go with the Shopnotes as you only allow one piece. Move the grinder to the left side. On the right it's in the way of the tailstock...
This stand gives you more bang for the buck. When you have space, then you install cabinets. For now, the solid stand works better and you can sharpen with minimal fuss.

mickr

Apparently you did not read the original question? The shopnotes mini lathe stand is a storage cabinet. I'm asking for opinions as to one or the other and why.
By golly I did read & understand..I just suggested if you could not have both, why not make the wall cabinet design into a lathe stand??? you get the "wall cabinet" and a stand all in one...but heck, you are the final arbiter..send us a pic of what you finally do

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I guess my question is why not build the wall cabinets and for the lathe stand a smaller cabinet. the footprint of the lathe stand would be the same whether its built 2x6 construction or a cabinet box. mike

jedgerton

I would go with the cabinet above the lathe and put the lathe on a mobile stand. That way, if you ever want to work outside, you can do so easily.

John

Top Bottom