Lathe as dedicated buffer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTurnerJohn

AS I said in your other post, There are other options available.
Since you are wanting to turn only pens the ) taper isn't an issue UNLESS you decide you want to turn some of the kits that require a "B" mandrel.The stumbling blocks are not innsurmountable but they may be a stumbling block for a new pen crafter.
The stay put wrenches are soft steel and easily strip out and you DO need a wrench for them.An lathe with lever adustments would be better.
The JPL is only 2 speed and have a belt that may be a problem replacing.
Even if you add the "extras" that come with it(Most of which come with it anyway I would strongly urge you to pass on this one.
Bruce Boone has one asn I think he said he uses it for a dedicated buffer.
The turncrafter line looks good and I think they have them with VS if you feel that is a plus.
Chisels can be had from HF for around $35.00-40.00 and they will be more than you need for turning pens.

Bruce, could you or anyone comment on using a lathe as a dedicated buffer? Some time ago I bought the Beall buffing mandrel and three wheels for the lathe. I seldom use it, however, because of the time and bother to change back and forth between mandrels. Can you comment on what your setup is? If it's worth it I'll consider buying another lathe to keep the buffing wheels on since I do like to buff my pens. Now I'm using a tiny buffer which is adequate but not quality.

Thanks...and Happy Labor Day everyone!! [8D]

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Hi John, I actually use my Jet Pen lathe not as a buffer, but to spin a mandrel that holds rings that get buffed by a Foredom rotary tool. I need to go somewhat perpendicular to the machining marks when polishing a titanium ring to mirror finish. The Jet is not very powerful, so it might have touble pushing too much. I do make some plastic mandrels that allow a normal pen lathe with a #1 Morse Taper to hold a nice thick paint roller. Many people have used those with good results.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John,

I got Bruce's MT1 mandrels and mark a line on the middle of a paint roller with a big Sharpie. One side is White Diamond and the other side is TSW. Works great, changes quickly, and the price is right!

PenTurnerJohn

Thanks, Bruce and Bill. Sounds like a real workable solution.

Since I still have my Beall buffing wheels and mandrel does anyone have plans or suggestions for making a dedicated buffing setup [with separate motor and belts perhaps]? [I'm just not wanting to give up and discard my Beall setup.][^]

John

btboone

I've seen someone do it with a threaded rod. Just trap the wheels between nuts and drive the short length of threaded rod between centers.

PenTurnerJohn

Bruce, I already have the mandrel that Beall sells for their wheels. I need some way to drive the mandrel [ex. lathe or dedicated buffer motor]. Any suggestions? It seems like I once saw a setup in a catalog for something with a belt drive - but I can't remember where.

John
Olathe KS

btboone

I havn't seen such a thing, but it shouldn't be tough to design and make something with a motor and pulleys. You can get the parts from places like McMaster Carr, Grainger, or MSC.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Second time in an hour I posted this.
GREAT SEARCH FUNCTION JEFF!
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2806&SearchTerms=HIgh,tech,buffer

PenTurnerJohn

Thanks, Eagle, for the link back in 2005 for the paint roller buffer.

Posted - Jan 07 2005 : 2:18:53 PM US Eastern Time Show Profile Email Poster Visit Fred in NC's Homepage Send Fred in NC a Yahoo! Message Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gregory, the way I am doing it, all I need is a single roller.
It is wide enough for 4 sections if it is used for pens. Left 1/4 for tripoli, next white diamond, then a section for waxing, and last 1/4 nothing on it for buffing.

Make sure you get the WOOL rollers. I got mine at Lowe's, and it is a WOOSTER 9" x 3/4" NAP WOOL SHEARLING. About $8.

The nap did not come off AT ALL !!! Looks like this roller is made for the job!

I am planning to make a buffing jig with its own motor later on.

Fred in NC <>< . www.turningstuff.com
Due to the price of gas, horses are looking better every day!

Fred, have you made the buffing jig with it's own moter yet? [That's what I think may work with the mandrel and buffing wheels I now have.]

John
Olathe KS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom