Last Minute Screw Up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penl8the

Hi All,

After completing the beautiful blank (if I might say so), I was trying to assemble the clip. I heard this tiny pop sound - the blank is now in the "screwed up" box.

Arrggghh!!!!

Lesson learned if any part is too tight, swab inside the tube with a little WD-40 before pressing any part into the tube.

cimg0865resizedgimp.jpg

cimg0866zoomedingimp.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0865(resized)(gimp).jpg
    CIMG0865(resized)(gimp).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 102
  • CIMG0866(zoomed in)(gimp).jpg
    CIMG0866(zoomed in)(gimp).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Ahhh that sucks! been there done that! blank was really cool, did you cast it as well? Saturate those cracks with thin CA, and MM again, or whatever method you use. You may still be able to salvage it.

Dan26

I did that to one piece of a slim and just sanded the chipped end down and refinished the pen. It was a little shorter, but it still works. Not sure what kit your using but maybe that could work for you.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That might be a cool idea or on the "oops band" have some smaller feathers going around the band, might be interesting.

great ideas here .. flood the cracks with CA and MM back to a high gloss, but
don't get rid of it. Have any other cracked feather blanks? You could turn
a band off of another one to put on the top, CA them together and then
sand to get a seamless finish..

Mark

It doesn't look like it reached the feather. I'd try parting off the damage.
If you are doing a single tube like the Wall St, you could use a black band to fill then CA, MM and finish like the rest of the blank. If you are able to match the blank color go for it.

Good Luck! It looks as though you could salvage it.

Mr Vic

I had a circuit board pen do that. Sealed/filled the cracks with thin CA. I will wick on in. Then I clobbed on some 5 minute epoxy to fill the large voids to over size. The turned it back down and finished it again. Would post a pic but can't tell which one it was...

CaptG

I use a dremmal with a tiny sanding drum and sand the id on both ends of the tube until the mating part will push in by hand. Then I put some thick ca in the tube and assemble. No more cracking.

Penl8the

Hi All,

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am thinking to remove the PR where the chips occurred as close to the paint as I can. Then put it back to the ResinSaver (from NewLondon88) and re-cast.

Since the SWEB ResinSaver takes at least 2 blanks at a time, I am just waiting for feathers to dry on another tube.

Will keep y'all posted.

P.S. chamfering the tube before assembling is a great idea.

Seer

You can always put it back on and glue a segemnt of a solid color as a ring I have done that before and it should look ok.

Top Bottom