Last Minute Screw-up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marter1229

Working on some Seam Rippers for the holidays, then Murphy showed up.

I managed to get my 8mm drill bit stuck in my poly blank, sticking out both ends.
Can it be saved or trashed?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

If it's mounted in a chuck, rock the chuck back and forth to loosen it and then unscrew the bit. You might try a little Pam or vegetable oil to lube. Use a round file to clean up the hole and then rinse well (soap and water).

Sawdust1825

Be creative. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. Sit it on top of the vise jaws with the shank of the drill bit loosely clamped. Put a block of wood on top of the tip and rap it with a hammer. The wood will protect the end of the drill bit. Drive it down until it is flush. Not knowing what you have at your disposal for tools it's hard to give specific instructions but will make some general suggestions. I will guess it seized up because of trying to hurry and not clearing the flutes frequent enough. So if it is still to tight to put back in the drill chuck and turn the blank off in reverse I would drive it the other way and use a punch to drive it on through. You could go with that as our first option. Good luck.

marter1229

:bananen_smilies046:Thanks for all the help guys, problem solved. I had to heat it to 200 degrees in the oven. With some persuasion, out the bit came.
Blank was still good.
Thanks!

Top Bottom