Laser Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srf1114

Hey all I got a custom order w/Engraving. I took the pen to my local engraver and he was concerned about how the PR would react with the engraving laser.

I'm taking him a test chunk, but also wanted to ask those of you who have done this before.

The PR in question is a PSI product, the Aquabright brand. More specifically it is the Camo Aquabright blank.

Any thoughts how this will hold up under a laser engraving situation?

The Pen in question is a cigar pen, so the PR is pretty think at the point of the engraving also.

If this fails how do you think engraving on the clip would turn out? It is a chrome plated clip, and I guess my concern here would be that the laser would penetrate the chrome and possiblly expose the base metal under it.

No problem with the laser on the acrylics I have had done including some from PSI. You will have to fill it with something in order for it to be seen since the depth is very light and the color underneath is the same as the top. (Unlike wood where the laser burns the wood slightly and it stands out from the surrounding area.) I use laserbits Pro Fill. Your engraver may well have some or something else to use.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I picked up 16 from WoodTurningz today that are two line engraved and they are fine. They've done a lot for me and this order finishes an order for 50. Highly recommend them, good prices, good quality and quick turn around.
WB

mrcook4570

No problems at all with laser engraving the various PR, acrylics, etc. They will need to be colorfilled to provide contrast.

PVC, however, is a different animal. Never laser PVC as the vapors can produce hydrochloric acid and destroy your machine.

Top Bottom