Laser Engraving Questions (metal)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

Ok, I know laser engraving has been beat to death on the forum from everything I can find. But all the research I have been able to do says that their units will not do metal engraving. With that being said, the engraving needs to be superficial and just enough to contrast the original finish. I am looking to buy a unit but cannot find what unit to buy without wasting money finding out what will and won't work. I've attached a pic of what I've had done in the past by other a guy I found locally. But he is no longer answering emails so I need a replacement. If anyone has engraved something like this (chrome) please let me know what unit you are using.

Horrible picture but it was the only one I could find of it.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20170711124353657.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20170711124353657.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 158

Carl Fisher

In order to do uncoated metal, you will need a fiber laser. They are very expensive even for the entry models (15k+ typically)

You can however laser off anodizing, paint or other top coatings typically. Not plating however so you wouldn't be able to laser engrave most of the pen components on the market.

The more traditional option would be etch engraving by mechanical means.

elyk864

Thank you for the info, that helps a lot.

In order to do uncoated metal, you will need a fiber laser. They are very expensive even for the entry models (15k+ typically)

You can however laser off anodizing, paint or other top coatings typically. Not plating however so you wouldn't be able to laser engrave most of the pen components on the market.

The more traditional option would be etch engraving by mechanical means.

Top Bottom