Laser Engravers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I did a search and didn't find anything that referred to what I'm looking for. My question is to those that have purchased or looked into buying a small laser engraver. The ones that people use to engrave my pens used one about 2x3 feet. I saw on Amazon and a couple of other sites they have smaller ones that are about the size of computer printers and cost under $1000. All I'm wanting to use it for are pens and calls. I see that most are made over seas so it's kind of hard to call and ask questions. Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Do a search for threads on here about the NEJE or Chinese lasers. That is what most of us use without breaking the bank. Only works on wood though. Some may have gotten them to work on acrylics but I haven't been able to. Mine cost roughly $100 but that was almost 2 years ago. The next step up, at least as far as I know, is to the ones that cost $500-$1,000 out of the box or with some upgrades.

Rick_G

That's the one I have it works well on wood and some "acrylics" but not all. Found if I coated the area with yellow highlighter it would engrave on most of the "acrlics" and antler I have on hand. I tried various colors of highlighter and some worked some didn't yellow seemed to work the best for me. I think Benson prints his with a 3D printer, I just built mine with wood and threaded rod. Works but not as pretty.

sbwertz

I have the NEJE 1.5 watt laser engraver. It will burn some plastics, but not others. It won't even put a mark on corian, but then it is designed to be heat resistant. The 1 watt one won't burn any plastic. Biggest advantage of the 1.5 watt is you can burn on thicker material...there is more room between the laser and the base so you can burn on items up to about an inch and a half. The 1 watt will burn only up to just under an inch.

keithncsu

I have the NEJE 1.5 watt laser engraver. It will burn some plastics, but not others. It won't even put a mark on corian, but then it is designed to be heat resistant. The 1 watt one won't burn any plastic. Biggest advantage of the 1.5 watt is you can burn on thicker material...there is more room between the laser and the base so you can burn on items up to about an inch and a half. The 1 watt will burn only up to just under an inch.

That is the first I've heard of a difference in distance for these lasers. When I first bought mine, there was still no consensus on whether the stronger one would burn plastics. Still sounds like it is still a mostly yes and no answer. That said, I decided not to spend the extra on the 1.5 watt since I could never see any tangible difference. Had I known the statement you just made about the distance, I would totally have gotten the bigger one. Great little nugget of info!

Rick_G

Sharon, I have the 1 W unit and it will engrave corian but not much. You can just see it and feel it but only if I covered the area to be engraved with yellow highlighter. Wouldn't touch it bare or with other colors of highlighter, must be the yellow and the wavelength of the laser. Got the same effect with many of the plastics I tried. Didn't know about the extra distance with the 1.5W unit but then it wasn't available when I got mine.

sbwertz

My first one was a 1 watt. Gave it to my brother and bought the 1.5 watt to get the added capacity.

KiwiBob

I have a NEJE and would like it to interface with my iMac not Windows.
I have tried several downloaded drivers that are supposed to work with NEJE and iMac but none do.
Have any of you been successful in getting your NEJE to talk to your iMac

PS the same unit works perfectly on my Windows computer

larryc

I have a NEJE and would like it to interface with my iMac not Windows.
I have tried several downloaded drivers that are supposed to work with NEJE and iMac but none do.
Have any of you been successful in getting your NEJE to talk to your iMac

PS the same unit works perfectly on my Windows computer

I use mine with a MacBook Pro.
There is a place on the web to download Mac software. It is quite scary since there are all sorts of warnings about viruses, etc. but there was no problem and the software works although slightly crippled compared to the Windows version

Top Bottom