Large red cedar bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

Well... giant for me anyhoo...

15 1/2" red cedar.... truly a pain the patootie.... tenon broke off 4 times!

Anyway, here it is.

Not sure I want to try that again!

Attachments

• GiantRedCedar.JPG
    GiantRedCedar.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful bowl.. clean, simple lines.. I love turning cedar.

in fact, I love the smell so much I keep turning till there's nothing left.

ps .. what did you use for a finish? It looks good from here..

Last edited:

Marc Phillips

The finish

Beautiful bowl.. clean, simple lines.. I love turning cedar.

in fact, I love the smell so much I keep turning till there's nothing left.

ps .. what did you use for a finish? It looks good from here..

The finish is Beall buffing... carnauba wax... I have not found any finish that works well on Cedar.... so I just buff it smooth and buff on a coat of wax then polish it a little with a terry cloth rag...

tseger

Nice bowl. I used to love the smell of cedar, till everybody started wanting cedar bowls. Guess I turned too much of it cause now I can't stand to smell the stuff. It's still just as beautiful though.

george

Very nice work.
Since I have no experineces on bowl turning, I would like to use this topic for a little help on selecting appropriate bowl gouge. Thanks.

I will soon buy some pen kits from CSUSA and was lookign at their bowl gouges. I was thinking about starting with 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools?Args=

Would you suggest I start with some other gouge ? I guess it should have a longer handle. Are gouges (metal part) at bowl tools also longer then detailed gouges, skews ... ?

Thanks and sorry for using your topic Marc.

Marc Phillips

Very nice work.
Since I have no experineces on bowl turning, I would like to use this topic for a little help on selecting appropriate bowl gouge. Thanks.

I will soon buy some pen kits from CSUSA and was looking at their bowl gouges. I was thinking about starting with 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools?Args=

Would you suggest I start with some other gouge ? I guess it should have a longer handle. Are gouges (metal part) at bowl tools also longer then detailed gouges, skews ... ?

Thanks and sorry for using your topic Marc.

Hard to go wrong with the Sorby... if I had to have just one tool, it would be a 1/2 inch bowl gouge. I would recommend a fingernail profile if you have some way of sharpening it... and if you don't, I would recommend a fingernail profile and getting a jig for sharpening it! I have the Wolverine, then use a slip stone for touching up between grindings.

mickr

I'm not surprized your tenon broke off..cedar is a soft/splitty type wood...the color will change very quickly to brown so keep it out of light...the question about bowl gouges: depends on size of bowls you will be making..the universal size is 3/8...and I also prefer a fingernail grind, but if the bowl deep-ish you will need a regular grind to turn the corner smoothly....or a good heavy scraper...get yourself some dvd's or books from your library and learn before you turn

The finish is Beall buffing... carnauba wax... I have not found any finish that works well on Cedar.... so I just buff it smooth and buff on a coat of wax then polish it a little with a terry cloth rag...

It looks like old growth - dry cedar.... I have several pieces that has been laying in the yard for years... the sap wood is almost powder, but the heartwood is still farily good, a few voids, but not too many.... I just buff it with tripoli and carnuba.... makes a nice finish and the cedar still will smell like cedar. I have some fresh cut cedar that is too oily to do that with...

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Beautiful (as usual) work Marc.

It's good to know that I have some of the same problems as the pros! The cedar bowl I turned I had to soak the tenon with thin CA to make it strong enough to hold.

Top Bottom