Large and small pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Haven't posted a pen in a while and this one is a little different so........

This week a gentleman contacted me about making him a larger than normal pen because he has trouble grasping the smaller sections. He had very specific size requirements including a section tapering from .535 to .530 with a slight arc so it was fun seeing how close I could get the measurements. I made an ebonite section, sanded but not polished for a better grip.

For those who don't have trouble with arthritus, you won't understand as well as those who do suffer from it and can appreciate the extra width of the pen.

Below is a shot of the pen I made today beside a pen I already made, showing the difference in the width of the pen. I'm glad I do my threading on the metal lathe now since the added width changed all the thread sizes I normally use.

I might just make one for myself as well since I like the way it feels in my hand when taking it for a test drive.

Attachments

• lg-sm.jpg
    lg-sm.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 409
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Nice job, George. I knew you could help him(Mr. Smith) out. Thanks.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Haven't posted a pen in a while and this one is a little different so........

This week a gentleman contacted me about making him a larger than normal pen because he has trouble grasping the smaller sections. He had very specific size requirements including a section tapering from .535 to .530 with a slight arc so it was fun seeing how close I could get the measurements. I made an ebonite section, sanded but not polished for a better grip.

For those who don't have trouble with arthritus, you won't understand as well as those who do suffer from it and can appreciate the extra width of the pen.

Below is a shot of the pen I made today beside a pen I already made, showing the difference in the width of the pen. I'm glad I do my threading on the metal lathe now since the added width changed all the thread sizes I normally use.

I might just make one for myself as well since I like the way it feels in my hand when taking it for a test drive.

bgibb42

Beautiful work, as always!

I'm curious; you said you do your threading on the metal lathe now, do you also turn the rest of the pen on the metal lathe? Or do you move from one lathe to the other?

Mr Vic

Amaizing what a difference little extra width on a pen can make. Good job on a very nice pen..

Texatdurango

Beautiful work, as always!

I'm curious; you said you do your threading on the metal lathe now, do you also turn the rest of the pen on the metal lathe? Or do you move from one lathe to the other?
I made it entirely on the metal lathe from the 3/4" square blank to the finished pen just to see if it was feasable. Even turning the taper was done but is cumbersome compared to using the mini lathe.

Each lathe has it's strong points, threading being the metal lathes best feature and I'm all about convenience and enjoying what I am doing so will continue to do certain things on each lathe. Sitting 10" apart on the same work bench, it's not like I'm running across the room! :)

Texatdurango

Nice work George, what was the thread size? did you cut a three lead or just a single ? it sure looks like it would be comfortable,

My gears are set for metric and with my tumbler set on "7" I get a 1mm pitch. So with a tenon diameter of .575" I guess you could say the threads are 14.6mm x 1mm.

They are single lead and I love the way they thread on and off! Up until this past week, every pen I made had basically the same size because of the constraints of the multi-start tap and die set I was using.

I wish I had known how to cut my threads on the metal lathe before I bought the multi-start set, I could have saved myself $200!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Nice work! I'm sure that you feel a great sense of satisfaction in being able to meet the man's needs with such a great looking pen.

workinforwood

Great looking pen George. I bet the single start thread holds the cap better than the triple start too. You can always re-coup most if not all of that $200 for the tap and die..I don't doubt there's several people that would jump on that.

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
Thats a beautiful looking pen George. I'm sure all the hard work you put into it will be greatly appreciated! I'd be interested to hear how your customer liked it...

Top Bottom