large acrylic blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

Does anyone know if there are acrylic acetate blanks available, maybe from the pipe supply or other places, that's 1" in diameter by at least 5 1/4" long? I have a special project that would need some stuff that can be machined down to around a .020" wall thickness, so would have to be tough and fairly dark so a tube won't show through at that spot. Fragile or very transparent materials won't work here. I'm doing the same pen in wood, but want to see if acrylic might be an option also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Thanks Billy. They look to be polyester, so might have a problem with the thin section, but they might be worth trying. Hmm, I seem to remember that the bowling ball material was possible, but the colors are a bit loud for a high end pen. I don't know what the pipe makers are using. I assume that the blocks are larger in width but not that long.

alamocdc

Bruce, I just measured the lucite rods I got from Pipe Makers Emporium and they range from 3/4" to 7/8", but they're all 16" to 18" long. It might be worth while to call Andrea and see if she has anything with the dimension you're looking for.

btboone

Excellent. Alan, it looks like the 1 1/8" blanks will definitely work if I get the full bar length. I'll need to check closer to see if a 7/8" square blank might also work.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Also try McMaster Carr. They sell plastic rods in many types, many lengths, several colors. In the larger diameters, they appear to have 12" lengths. Delrin may be a possibility if you don't have to glue anything to it. Comes in black.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm back!! Thanks for the plug, Eagle!!!

PR probably won't be great for .02 thickness. In fact, I doubt there is ANY plastic that will be opaque at that dimension. Let me know if I am wrong, Bruce!!

Ed (& Dawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom