Laminated Denim Damsels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Here they are. Two laminated denim fountain pens. I learned a lot from the first one, and the second one (with the gold nib) turned out MUCH better.
Not perfect by any means, though. And the dark spots are a little damp. I just washed them off before these photos and didn't let them dry completely.

007.JPG

015.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Methinks you would have bragging rights over design on this one. I would love to have this on sale in my store.

boxerman

Dang man those are way cool. I think that them are first pens I seen made completely out denim. You make some of the coolest pens. Now you need make one out the blue denim. Did you put a finish on them? I want one.

Last edited:

watch_art

Thanks! Those are huge compliments!
A friend of mine is going to give me a lot of old blue jeans this weeks. He and his wife own a thrift store and they're going to load me up. I'll be making blue and stone washed and other colors as well.

As for finish - I did use LOTS of superglue from the $1 packs to fill tiny pits or hold tiny bits of material down. Mostly I just wet sanded. I used plastic polish on one, and went to 800 wet or dry on the other. Not much difference in looks, but with CA, it's smoother to the touch. I really need to buy some thick CA.

SDB777

Looks like a boatload of fun! Did it take you any longer to get these turned compared to the others you have been making? And will they be getting any kind of 'finish' on them?

So great turningz coming from your shop! Keep up the good work!

Scott (where are your pants now) B

watch_art

They're more work to drill out, but turning them is easy as pie.
Threading with taps is also more work. I run the tap through 3 or 4 times instead of just once to be sure of good threads.

For finish- I'll be putting CA on the sections from now on to prevent staining.

clapiana

very unique much much better then the jean 'skin' looking pen. yours looks rich and makes you wonder what it is made of. are these black denim or did they start out as blue? I love that pair you did there. great artistry

watch_art

Thanks!

Just black denim from walmart. I alternated how I laid them down, though. The top was darker than the bottom. So I'd lay them dark, light, dark, light.....

Top Bottom