lacking good blank to component fit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotwire55

I posted a sierra today and I wouldn't consider trying to sell the pen, because the fit between the blank and the nib appears to have a gap. It's like the blank has a crown across the top, being higher near the tube, causing a small visible gap when the components are pressed together. I am using a rod in my drill press, fitting the blank over the rod and a very flat wood surface to lay 900 grit sandpaper on, then I lower the blank and rotate it by hand to flatten both ends of the blank. I realize this is a problem I will have to solve, before I can sell my Pens. Any suggestions for this newbie? Thanks in advance. -Bobby-

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Hard to say without seeing the pen. But it sounds like one possible problem is your pen tube is not flush with the blank. If the tube stands slightly above the surrounding blank then your nib is not going to fit flush with the blank. Did you use a pen mill before turning the blank or are you just using the rod/drill press setup after turning the blank?

hotwire55

Billy, I do use a pen mill to square the blanks, and after I apply the finish I use the rod & sandpaper. I just wonder if my pen mill could be creating the problem? -Bobby-

hotwire55

Is the rod a neat fit on the tube? As it could be on a slight angle, a coarser grit (240) might be better, also the wood base,is it soft, might be dishing in.
Kryn

The rod is as good a fit as can be found in standard size. I don't have metric sizes in rods. I usually use a piece of red oak. I will try something like a piece of thick aluminum with a coarser sandpaper glued down to it. Thanks Kryn. -Bobby-

Joe Burns

I had the same issue using a blank trimmer. Using a sleeve on the trimmer to fit the tubed helped a lot. A pen finishing mill made all the difference for me.

Joe

hotwire55

I had the same issue using a blank trimmer. Using a sleeve on the trimmer to fit the tubed helped a lot. A pen finishing mill made all the difference for me.

Joe, where can I obtain this type of mill. Thanks, -Bobby-
Headed off to church, but will get back to the forum in a while!

hotwire55

Thanks Chris, I will try your suggestion on the Sierra's. I believe Sataro is probably correct and never thought about the tube sticking out past the blank. I will check this out tomorrow. Thanks much, -Bobby-

Top Bottom