Labels Peeling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I know there's tons of threads on casting labels, but a quick search I don't see a specific fix for this problem.

I've just tried PR casting over Avery labels. After letting the printed labels dry, I sprayed over the flat labels with a clear acrylic meant for sealing. All good, no bleeding.

After I attached the label to the tube, I tried a couple of things to try to hold down the label seam. First, I tried respraying the entire label over tube, but that resulted in the seam instantly opening up. I tried thin CA, but the same thing happened.

I finally ended up using thin CA and then accelerator, then quickly pressing the seam back down. Messy, but somewhat okay.

I cast three of them yesterday. Two look okay, one of them opened right up.

Any suggestions on a better technique? I used Avery labels.

Thanks,

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I apply the label firts then apply ca to the label . After that I cast after a day for the ca to off gas. Never had a problem coming un done...Thats my process. Every one has a different way to do it....

vtgaryw

So no clear coat over the label first?

I can't imagine why they want to peel as soon as they're hit by the CA or clear coat.

-gary

its_virgil

The tube needs to be cleaned with a solvent to remove any oils left from the manufacturing of the brass tube. I know, doesn't look like any oil on the tube. Clean it anyway.

Pay special attention to making sure the seam is well attached. Press the overlap firmly into place. You can figure out a way to do this...but the seam needs attention.

I allow the label to sit for at least a day to allow the label adhesive to dry and stick.

I also coat the label with thin CA to seal and allow the ca to totally cure for at least 24 hours.

Patience is the key. I clean and paint the tubes and wait 24 hours. Print the label and let the ink dry 24 hours. (these can be done at the same time) Stick on the tube and wait 24 hours. CA seal and wait 24 hours. Cast. I do not have problems with the seam coming loose. Maybe my time is coming.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

mtassie

I have a question since we are talking Avery labels, is the a specific Avery label to use? And what program do you use to put whatever picture or logo onto the label? Don't want to hyjack the thread.. Thanks

its_virgil

I use Avery 18163 2" x 4" labels. For the artwork I use photoshop simply because my wife has the software, is good using it and has taught me what I need to know to create labels. Once I get the size worked out for a particular tube I can save the label data for next time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

thewishman

Avery.com -I use the address labels, so I put the item number in and select a blank, create-your-own design. You can make a whole page of one design, or make each label different. I usually print four or five of a design and try different methods with each one until I get the results I want. Once you find what works, you're go to go.

Top Bottom