Labels coming loose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbrock

I am just starting to cast my own blanks. I have been trying to put a label on a tube and then cast it in polyresin. I am using the kit from Penn State. I have tried Avery permanent shipping labels #18163 and also a glossy photo self adhesive paper. It so far works better than the avery (avery came completely off). I tried putting ca glue on the seam and that worked, but you can see a darker area on the label where the glue was applied. Can someone point me in the right direction, what am I doing wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I use white or elmers glue and the pr doesn't disolve it. I know others use several different things but that seems to work well for me. Good luck.

seamus7227

if the avery labels are cheaper, then you can still make them work. But what i recommend is plugging the ends with something to prevent any CA from getting in there while you do this. Once the ends are plugged, use Medium CA and wipe it evenly over the entire barrel. The CA will soak into the label and bring out the colors very nicely. If the seam begins to lift during the process of wiping it on, just apply direct pressure to the seam wiping back and forth but dont let you fingers get stuck. How i prevent that from happening is to use latex gloves, it gives me a longer working time than my finger and it also makes the application of the CA nice and even across the entire tube.

charliekap

I am trying to do the same thing but with a photo. I tried printing on the Avery label but did not care for the picture quality. I then printed the picture on HP Glossy photo paper but the paper is too thick to wrap easily around the pen tube. I did a search on thin photo paper and found Red River Paper who is sending me some sample sheets.
Where did you purchase the thin self adhesive photo sheets? Will I need to seal the photo to ensure the ink does not bleed with the addition of the PR?

Charlie

seamus7227

Charlie, you can still use standard avery 58163(repositionable labels), just be sure to go into your properties tab and change the settings so that your printer will print in the "Best" quality. You will use more ink this way but the quality will turn out much more desirable! Then, yes, you will need to put a good coat of CA over it once you have positioned it on the tube where you want it. Be sure when you trim the ends of the label that hangs off the end of the barrel that you wipe some thin CA over the exposed label to seal it as well. If you dont, once cast, it will have the appearance that your label got wet in the process

Last edited:
Top Bottom