Label Making templates for casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sekach

Does anyone have any templates already sized for the various types of pen tubes/pens they turn? Looking for something that is already done maybe in powerpoint so I won't have to recreate the wheel on sizing my labels to fit my tubes.

Thanks

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sekach

Hmmm...not sure that would work unless I have some sort of anchor point to use for them. Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't they print different sizes depending on what program you use to open the file and then print? I figured something like powerpoint or photoshop might work based on continuity....but of course I am not IT kind-of-guy with a 50lb head.

its_virgil

It isn't difficult to figure out the size. The length is a no brainer. I make them a little longer than really needed. The width is the circumference of the tube plus just a little extra for the overlap. Remember HS geometry? Circumference = 3.14159 x diameter. I consider photoshop to be the best probram to use. Draw a rectangle (use rectangle tool) with the dimensions calculated for the tube being used. Print the rectangle, cut it out and test it. Adjust as needed. Then you will have the size you need. Open a new photoshop document and start building the label. I put each element of the label on a different layer and adjust until I like the layout. For example, I make labels with this size for the sierra: 413 x 244 (pixels) or 2.753 x 150 (inches) and a resolution of 150. I center the tube and trim the overhang on each end. If you are doing several labels just alike, then copy and paste putting as many labels on the page as you can get and print them on single sheet labels and cut them out.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Does anyone have any templates already sized for the various types of pen tubes/pens they turn? Looking for something that is already done maybe in powerpoint so I won't have to recreate the wheel on sizing my labels to fit my tubes.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Hmmm...not sure that would work unless I have some sort of anchor point to use for them. Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't they print different sizes depending on what program you use to open the file and then print?

Only if you let it.. and most printer software programs try to resize for you.
You have to find out how to bypass that.

If you figure 300DPI (about the best inkjets can print) then 300 pixels will
equal one inch. If you set your software to print at that resolution, it will
come out that size. Avoid anything in the software that tries to resize
the image for you. (not always easy.. some printers drivers hide that)

I've got templates for JR Gents, cigars and sierras. They're full pages of
labels already sized. Send me a PM and I'll shoot them off to your regular
email address. Can't attach them to PM's..

ps.. by DPI, I mean old school dots per inch, not Epson DPI. It used to
be that the dot size was the reciprocal of the DPI setting. If you printed
at 300DPI, each dot was 1/300th of an inch in size. 133DPI would yield
dots 1/133th of an inch.. and so on. Now there's claims of 28,000 DPI and
such .. which only means that somewhere within the space of an inch,
they promise to lay down 28,000 dots. They just don't say what size the
dots will be.. and they don't say that all 28,000 dots might not be in the
same place. Obviously, the smaller the dots (higher the DPI) the finer and
crisper the printed image will be. Most people don't have eyes good enough
to see much above 400DPI anyway .. at least without a microscope.
And at that resolution, the image clarity might have more to do with the
surface of the paper you're printing on than the size of the dots.

signed
the guy with the 49 1/2 lb head. :tongue:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Templates for sierra, cigar, Jr gent

SierraPage.jpg

JrGentTemplate.jpg

CigarTenplatecopy.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
It isn't difficult to figure out the size. The length is a no brainer. I make them a little longer than really needed. The width is the circumference of the tube plus just a little extra for the overlap. Remember HS geometry? Circumference = 3.14159 x diameter. I consider photoshop to be the best probram to use. Draw a rectangle (use rectangle tool) with the dimensions calculated for the tube being used. Print the rectangle, cut it out and test it. Adjust as needed. Then you will have the size you need. Open a new photoshop document and start building the label. I put each element of the label on a different layer and adjust until I like the layout. For example, I make labels with this size for the sierra: 413 x 244 (pixels) or 2.753 x 150 (inches) and a resolution of 150. I center the tube and trim the overhang on each end. If you are doing several labels just alike, then copy and paste putting as many labels on the page as you can get and print them on single sheet labels and cut them out.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Once a math teacher, always a math teacher! :biggrin::wink::biggrin:

Top Bottom