Label looks wet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I have been trying to cast labels now and started out with one that has a large amount of white in the background. When I applied the CA to seal it the white background went splotchy and looked like wet paper. Once the CA dried the paper (Avery 8 X 10 sticky back label paper) still looked "wet". I cast it anyway to test out the results of the new mold. Now I have a beautiful casting of a wet looking label. How can I seal the predominately white label without it looking wet?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Guess I will just paint the tubes with Krylon and use a clear decal with the logo on it. Maybe that will work.

KenV

Stephen

Don Ward is the Master of casting labels. Give him a PM and ask.

or do a search on his posts on casting labels. He has been doing it for lots of years with good success.

Cwalker935

You may need to paint your tubes white when using a label with a lot of white background, I would suggest that you use an acrylic paint.

Cloven

hrmm, I am assuming the white part of the label was just unprinted, the label itself showing through? That may be the issue, the white is just raw label and the CA glue is making it behave differently than the parts that have ink. Like how paper goes clear when it absorbs grease, right? The white is just paper, so it's going transparent in response to CA, where as the printed stuff has ink that hides the paper doing that. I think cwalker is on the right track, have a separate layer underneath that is white, so when the CA glue makes the label go transparent you see the white underneath. Either that or figure out some way of literally printing the white as white, or on the label itself make a base white layer, then print on top of that.

jttheclockman

I have been trying to cast labels now and started out with one that has a large amount of white in the background. When I applied the CA to seal it the white background went splotchy and looked like wet paper. Once the CA dried the paper (Avery 8 X 10 sticky back label paper) still looked "wet". I cast it anyway to test out the results of the new mold. Now I have a beautiful casting of a wet looking label. How can I seal the predominately white label without it looking wet?

So much info here about this. here is an earlier thread that has some answers in it.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/casting-over-decal-116946/

bkersten

When I do a casting where the background is white on a photo/anything, I use a white tube and cover the label with one q-tip of CA- and really spread it around, then hit it with accellorator. After its dry I wrap it in a post it note so that it will conform to the tube, and keep the seam down. I let it dry over night and then cast in the AM. It works for me.

Top Bottom