label fade in Alumilite vs PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bcoyne

Lower blank is PR, upper is Alumilite.

New to using Alumilite. Why the label fade?

Suggestions how to get label as bright and clear as in PR?
printed on Avery labels

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• FD blank.jpg
    FD blank.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Bob, can you tell us more about your casting process? Type of paints, glues, etc. That'll help diagnose a potential reason.

How long ago were these cast?

bcoyne

the PR was cast in 3 different pours. base, poured over blank and then final pour with 24 hr between each. turned after 4 days.

the Alumilite was mixed 2 min then poured over blank. Pressure Pot at 50 PSI 4 hrs. cured overnight and turned.

paint: Rust Oleum black
glue on PR was mod Podge and top coated also with MP
glue on alumilite was: CA Med no top coat.

both sanded with micromesh to 12,000

Thanks

Lathemaster

the PR was cast in 3 different pours. base, poured over blank and then final pour with 24 hr between each. turned after 4 days.

the Alumilite was mixed 2 min then poured over blank. Pressure Pot at 50 PSI 4 hrs. cured overnight and turned.

paint: Rust Oleum black
glue on PR was mod Podge and top coated also with MP
glue on alumilite was: CA Med no top coat.

both sanded with micromesh to 12,000

Thanks

I suspect that you did not wait long enough after applying the CA glue before casting. CA gases release as the CA cures and for sometime after depending on heat, humidity, etc. Standing on the shoulders of those before me I am learned to wait at least a full 24 hrs and even as long as 3 -4 days before casting after using CA.

My thoughts, your milage may vary

Mike

Jim Burr

Banned
Bob, I'm looking at the castings and the sanding/finish work and the alumilite is no where near that of the PR. Regardless of the grit, one may need more effort than the other.

Bob, I'm looking at the castings and the sanding/finish work and the alumilite is no where near that of the PR. Regardless of the grit, one may need more effort than the other.

I agree, I see 2 issues. One is the cloudy decal, the other the gloss of the material.

What I have done with Alumilite was sand to 4K with wet arrant then use buffing and polishing compounds, which might be faster than 12K Micro Mesh.

As far as the decal, I haven't tried that, so I don't have an answer.

Top Bottom