Label Casting Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whiskeyjack78

Hi all, My name is Marc. I'm from Alberta, Canada. I apologize for asking for help in my first ever Pen Turners post but I need some expertise help.
I'm attempting to make some Label castings and have run into a significant problem. I can't seem to get the resin to stick to the label correctly.
Here's a list of all my equipment and materials I'm using:
Alumilite Clear Slow & Alumilite Clear
PTownSubbie Tube in Blue Silicone Mold
Sierra Size Pen Tubes
Premium Printable Vinyl Waterproof Paper for Inkjets
California Pressure Pot 2.5 @ 60PSI
Stoner Urethan Mold Release

• I install the sticker on tube
  • Warm up the mold in the oven @ 150F for 5-10 minutes.
  • Pour equal parts A&B by weight and mix.
  • Install tubes into mold
  • Pour resin in mold
  • Put in pressure pot (Have done for 2hrs and 12hrs)
I thought at first I was maybe getting mold release on the tube and for the next batch I used nitrile gloves after mold release was sprayed.
This issue doesn't come up until a hour after I take it out of the pot and demold.
If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks;
Marc

leaf label.jpg

Attachments

• Walleye label.jpg
    Walleye label.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 53
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Some use a spray sealer to seal the labels. I'll let them go into details. I like the Elmers Glue Clear. The White Elmers dries with a haze. Stick the label on the tube and brush on a thin coat of glue. Let dry and cast.

Hippie3180

You need John U. to pop on here, he's the resident authority on here regarding blanks esp. label blanks I believe.

Bean_Counter

Are you using matte labels? If youre using gloss labels there is nothing for your resin to bite onto. Hope that helps

Whiskeyjack78

Hi all, My name is Marc. I'm from Alberta, Canada. I apologize for asking for help in my first ever Pen Turners post but I need some expertise help.
I'm attempting to make some Label castings and have run into a significant problem. I can't seem to get the resin to stick to the label correctly.
Here's a list of all my equipment and materials I'm using:
Alumilite Clear Slow & Alumilite Clear
PTownSubbie Tube in Blue Silicone Mold
Sierra Size Pen Tubes
Premium Printable Vinyl Waterproof Paper for Inkjets
California Pressure Pot 2.5 @ 60PSI
Stoner Urethan Mold Release

• I install the sticker on tube
  • Warm up the mold in the oven @ 150F for 5-10 minutes.
  • Pour equal parts A&B by weight and mix.
  • Install tubes into mold
  • Pour resin in mold
  • Put in pressure pot (Have done for 2hrs and 12hrs)
I thought at first I was maybe getting mold release on the tube and for the next batch I used nitrile gloves after mold release was sprayed.
This issue doesn't come up until a hour after I take it out of the pot and demold.
If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks;
Marc

View attachment 364315
Thanks everyone. Sorry for such long delay in replying. I purchased a new toy(3 in 1 3d printer/laser/cnc engraver) and promptly got bed ridden for 8 days.

Anyways, I thank everyone who helped me out here. Much appreciated. I have figured out what works best for me and and my environment (northern alberta garage).
What I have to do is like some others have mentioned wss to install the tubes in the molds with labels adhered already and throw them into a toaster oven at about 150°f for 5-10 minutes and poor the resin and throw into the pressue tank asap!!! Not a single failure since.... here's the proof lol
20231220_175827.jpg
20231220_175831.jpg
... not my pictures btw. All but 2 are from the internet. The Churchill Pen is a friend of mine's personal sunset pics.

Top Bottom