Krazy Quilt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

I did a little segmenting this week. First is a CSUSA Apprentice Jr. Gentleman's Pen. The woods are Redheart, Aspen, Walnut, Ebony, Red Birch, Blue Birch, Canary wood, Purple Heart,and Wenge. Fittings are 24k Gold with 8 coats of thick CA for a finish. When I was done with the first pen, I had enough of my blank left over to make up a second single tube pen. Same blank, different arrangement of segments. The second pen is a PSI Gatsby in a Satin finish, with a spiral design and 8 thick coats of CA. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (640x448).jpg
    DSCF0001 (640x448).jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0002 (183x640).jpg
    DSCF0002 (183x640).jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0004 (208x640).jpg
    DSCF0004 (208x640).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF0005 (219x640).jpg
    DSCF0005 (219x640).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0003 (205x640).jpg
    DSCF0003 (205x640).jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

That's pretty cool, good job! Maybe the Jr. Gent could be a little thinner at the cap? Overall they are very nice!

plantman

Mike; Look in the library under blanks, polychromatic segmented pen. By Kenn Osborne 2004. It will show you how to make a pen in this manner. I just added a total of 9 different woods to the blank. The two pens are from the same blank, just the rotation of woods were changed when I glued them together. Designs are endless. Thanks to all for the comments. Jim S

SDB777

Your picture should be included with the definition of the word patience....bet you know exactly how many cuts in took to make each pen blank, don't ya?:rolleyes:

Some great use of multiple timbers!

Scott (stunning me so early in the morning) B

plantman

Your picture should be included with the definition of the word patience....bet you know exactly how many cuts in took to make each pen blank, don't ya?:rolleyes:

Some great use of multiple timbers!

Scott (stunning me so early in the morning) B

:rolleyes: Scott; The better question would be, how many blanks does it take to make a pen like this? I actualy only made one extra long blank about 12 inches. I lucked out on this design because there were no angled cuts. The secret, I have found, in making these pen blanks, is the cutting jig you use must be dead on. I use a lot of scrap wood to test my design before I cut the real blank, and make sure my bandsaw is cutting straight and square. I also take a sharpening stone and take some of the set off my bandsaw blade teeth. This gives me a smooth enough cut that I don't have to sand the pieces flat. Once the jig is set up along with the saw, you could cut precise blank segments all day with little effort. Keep your segments in the order that they were cut to maintain color or grain pattern. Not counting the original cutting of the wood to glue the blanks up, there are only 20 segmenting bandsaw cuts in the two barrel pen. I used 9 different woods at 2 cuts each on the table saw to make the blank, for a total of 18, plus 20, or 38 total saw cuts. 11 bandsaw cuts for the second pen because the blank was already made. As you can see by the second pen, once you cut the squares from the same blank, you just alter the glueup to completely change the look of your design and pen. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom