Kokopelli

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

Finally Buster Brown found me. This was a special order for a Blackfoot Indian woman at one of my truck delivery places. I had showed her my indian blanket and she loved it but wanted a Kokopelli. I didn't know what the heck that was, but said I could do it and her budget was sweeeeeet, so I looked it up and built it. It is white corian, that's what she wanted. The Kokopelli is cut in with a scroll saw and then inlaced black. It does not go all the way through either, just half way! Love it or hate it, but I think it's a show stopper.

20071026203732_Kokopellithumb.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

That's funny! Yea, it's laminated that's all. two 1/2" pieces, you scroll the one then glue another to the back and drill down the center. This is what she wanted and now that I did it I can see why. [8D]

workinforwood

Actually corian does leave a seam no matter what, but if prepared and seamed properly, you have to really hunt for it big time, because it's can be so close to invisible that only the creator sees it.

shawn394

Really great work on the Kokopelli. I have been wanting to try some inlays like that, but need to buy the scroll saw first. As the owner of a solid surface shop, the saying in the industry is “you never say that you will have an invisible seam, you tell the customer that the seams will be imperceptible.†I have seen demos where black glue is used on white material and when finished you can’t find the seam. I have also seen color matched glue used and the seams jump of the counter at you. Its all in the prep and doing it right, just like anything else.

alamocdc

I really like that, Jeff! Well thought out and executed! Two thumbs, way up!!! And it immediately bounced a bunch of ideas through my already cluttered brain. DOH!

Rifleman1776

The pen is exceptional, you execution is definitely masterful. I wondered about the half-way through thing with a scroll saw too. I'm very surprised an Indian would actually order something with Kokopelli on it, though. Many Indians resent the image since not all Indians play a flute and, to many, it is a degrading stereotype image, not unlike African-Americans eating fried chicken or watermelon. But, that's her business and she is proud of that part of her heritage.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />I'm very surprised an Indian would actually order something with Kokopelli on it, though. Many Indians resent the image since not all Indians play a flute and, to many, it is a degrading stereotype image...

Actually, Frank, for native Americans from the southwest Kokopelli is not considered stereotypical. He is celebrated. Aside from being a fertility deity, he is also a prankster and represents the spirit of music. A rather joyful fellow, really. At least that's what I got from spending the last two summers in Arizona.

tas2181

Beautiful job Jeff. I have been thinking of trying to integrate my scrolling with my pen turning. Thanks for the great idea. I have at least a hundred pounds of corian pieces laying around, guess I had better get busy. [:)]

Tom

workinforwood

<br />The pen is exceptional, you execution is definitely masterful. I wondered about the half-way through thing with a scroll saw too. I'm very surprised an Indian would actually order something with Kokopelli on it, though. Many Indians resent the image since not all Indians play a flute and, to many, it is a degrading stereotype image, not unlike African-Americans eating fried chicken or watermelon. But, that's her business and she is proud of that part of her heritage.

Dude...I thought it was a piece pipe he was smokin! It was really great stuff, and that's why he looks like he's dancing.[;)]

I don't know the answers why someone wants what they want, I just want the greenbacks in my wallet.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />
<br />The pen is exceptional, you execution is definitely masterful. I wondered about the half-way through thing with a scroll saw too. I'm very surprised an Indian would actually order something with Kokopelli on it, though. Many Indians resent the image since not all Indians play a flute and, to many, it is a degrading stereotype image, not unlike African-Americans eating fried chicken or watermelon. But, that's her business and she is proud of that part of her heritage.

Dude...I thought it was a piece pipe he was smokin! It was really great stuff, and that's why he looks like he's dancing.[;)]

I don't know the answers why someone wants what they want, I just want the greenbacks in my wallet.

Nope, the flute player is, as Billy pointed out, a prankster with fertility and romantic implications. I got my Indian lore education from reading Tony Hillerman books. [;)] OTOH, I once watched a performance by an Indian flute player and lecturer. He is the one who said for white men to relate flute playing with Indians was negative stereotyping. Oh, well. These days it's not even PC to try to be PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom