Koa Jr. Statesman II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from flippedcracker

My Father-in-Law brought back a board of beautiful koa wood from Hawaii that he got from some shop's scraps. I ended up getting 16 blanks out of it, and it only cost him $7. I asked him to bring back as much as he could carry next time he goes.

Also, I didn't realize until posting the picture that the tip wasn't screwed on all the way.

This is the pen that convinced me to ditch the regular bushings when finishing and get some of johnnycnc's finishing bushings. You can just barely see where the finish cracked when I pulling it off the bushings, and it also cracked a touch when I pressed the cap together.

1_Hampton_Turning_Works-_068-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Actually I cant anything wrong with it...................Of course I cant see it at all. :biggrin:IF you meant to upload a picture it didnt make it.:cool:

Wait there it popped up, now I can see it

Traguh

Those are nice pens and great wood. I put wax on my bushings when I do Ca finishes. I put the bushings on my mandrel and turn on the lathe and hold a piece base plate wax to the surface anywhere that I think CA will hit and then put them back on the blanks and apply the CA. I'll use a razor or a barrel trimmer with sand paper on it to get any CA ridges back down. You might try and experiment with that. I had the same issues and figured I would try that rather than get a bunch of bushings. It works well for me.

Richard

I tried the wax thing, but it didn't work at all for me. I got the finishing bushing, and those helped a ton. I have had the issue since starting to use them.

Top Bottom