Knife scales for CRKT Ashworth Turtle knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jedgerton

jedgerton

I'm looking for ideas on how to turn some replacement scales for a small pocket knife.

Here is a link to a photo of the knife:

https://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=5900B/638.0

The existing scales are held in place by a single screw in the center and it has two posts that go into two holes to keep it from rotating. The shape is elliptical instead of circular.

I think I can handle turning a circular piece of wood but I'm not sure of the best way to end up with an elliptical shape. Any thoughts on how this might best be done?

John

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

there is a book on elipitical turning ..I think it can be opurchased from craft supplies

mvaldez

have you ever turned an egg? i know there is a tutoral on turning eggs and that would get you your shape then just slice lenghtwise to get your thickness

VisExp

John, I just turned a hammer with an oval handle using off center turning. I wonder if the same technique could be used? I'll be making a post to my blog on the oval handle in the next day or two. Check it out and see if it helps.

pipecrafter

For that particular knife I'd forget all about the lathe. Instead, get some thickness planed stock that's slightly thicker than what you need, and shape by hand.

My procedure would be:
- drill hole for screw
- line up the screw hole from the existing scale and the one you just drilled, and trace the scale shape
- at the same time transfer anti-spin the post locations
- cut the handle scale out with a bandsaw, coping saw, whatever
- drill holes for anti-spin posts, turn the posts (or use dimensioned stock), and glue them in
- shape the handle scales using belt or disc sander/grinder, files, dremel, whatever.

Sounds complex, but it's really not, and this is how most knife handles are shaped - except you normally don't have the benefit of having an existing scale for reference.

Top Bottom