Kits less meets "the walrus"..........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick P

Rick P

OK so it more a modified slimm than a "kitless" but I and my client think its cool! The pic sucks, but I had to get one tonight, the pen is leaving at 4:30 am with my wife to be delivered.

Oh the body is Fossil walrus rib, the accent final and tip are fossil walrus ivory........my guy had some cool stuff for me!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 456
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Thank you guys! I really dislike slims but the customer is always right and If ya got to turn a kit you don't like ya might as well make it unique!

bluwolf

Nice shape and lines, nice and clean. I take it he didn't want a clip, it's more of a desk pen?

Rick P

The customer who order this one said and I quote....."biuld me a thinner twist pen with clean sexy lines, but it has to be distinctly Alaskan." Called him back "I want to do something with no exposed metal, all bone and ivory" "OK but the clip will throw off the look of that keep it clean lined like we talked about"............I love pen nuts!

Rick P

Not sure it would do ya any good BSea........I spent 2 hours going through a 55 gallon drum of bone to get this piece of rib bone. Most of it would be fine for carving but not turning quality. Also I am sure it can leave the state as a pen but not at all sure it can as raw material, the laws on this stuff are rather complex and my guy has said he will not ship out of state, I think I am the only white guy he sells to at all!

BSea

Well, I was kidding anyway . . . . . . . . . . . . mostly:rolleyes:. I have more than enough to keep me busy, but as most of us on this forum, I'm always looking for something new to try.

Rick P

I'd love to help you guys out but I DO NOT want to get myself or anyone else in hot water. Quick example I have wanted to build a baleen backed bow for well over a decade now. The old native carver I get my stuff from could biuld it without issue, if he knew how or wanted to, he doesn't. If I put it together I'd be sitting in a itty bitty room for a very long time! All the materials I use are very old and were stock piled before the 1979 ban.......and I have the paper work to back that up.

Last edited:

Rick_G

Looking good Rick. I make quite a few but none are straight slim kit pens. Some people actually prefer them, my father for instance, doesn't like the larger pens.

Rick P

Thanks very much everyone!

Rick G, I'm happy with this one and my client is ecstatic! He just called and it was like listening to a kid rave about his birthday gifts.:biggrin: I think I'll add a couple in this style to the line up. Some folks just like a thinner pen.

Bitshird: It actually holds up well but its VERY hard, not as hard and no where near as brittle as Mammoth bone but it is partially mineralized. I turned it slower than I normally work and had to resharpen the tool set twice! On the plus side it smells better than musk ox horn! It definitely was never racking to turn!

Top Bottom