Kitless FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

First of all I apologize for the poor picture, but photography is not my strong point. I have been trying to go kitless and had a few pieces of aluminum left over in the garage. I am not crazy about he high gloss finish, you can seen scratches already on it. I have typically do a foil type finish with aluminum. I used a finer thread 1/2 x 36 for the cap, and am not quite sold on it. The pen will only fit a small cartridge like the kind sold with the El Grande, but fits the hand ok. Let me know what you think.

Ok. Here is the updated finish (?) This is what I typically do to all the Aluminum I turn. Just turn smooth and used a dremel attachement and stippled the piece. I think I'm going to use this method for ceterbands and barrel extensions, since I can't seem to get a full size pen out of a standard length blank. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• P9050002.JPG
    P9050002.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 388
  • P9100005.jpg
    P9100005.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 225
  • P9100006.jpg
    P9100006.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

me2cyclops

I like it , I'm fond of short pens.
if you'd rather have a brushed finish to hide the scratches the "3m unitizing" wheels work great

cnirenberg

I generally use a foil looking finish to Al, by stippling it with a dremel and then rubbing out an rough spots. I may redo this one this wekend.
Thanks for looking, I appreciate the feedback.

ldb2000

Great looking kitless . You picked the right thread size and pitch for single start threading , big enough to use the El Grande type front sections and fine enough to feel fairly smooth . On the transition from the body to the threads you might want to try chamfering the ridge and cutting a chamfer in the cap , it will also help with keeping the cap screwed on . As far as your finish if your not going to powder coat , any finish is going to oxidize (tarnish) so get a bottle of a good metal polish and give it a weekly cleaning , then a good coat of Renwax to help with fingerprints .

John Eberly

Aluminum Pen

My immediate thought was that it reminded me of a WWII aircraft skinned in aluminum.

The pen will patinate over time - the planes got dinged up too.

What if you cut in a couple of shallow "panel seams" and added some faux rivets?

cnirenberg

My immediate thought was that it reminded me of a WWII aircraft skinned in aluminum.

The pen will patinate over time - the planes got dinged up too.

What if you cut in a couple of shallow "panel seams" and added some faux rivets?

Hopefully I will be able to post an update. Girl Scouts tonight, boys night out in the garage.

Top Bottom