Kitless and Jr Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gilrock

Gilrock

I decided to post these two pens together because they were made from the same blanks. This was the second casting pour I've done. The Jr Statesman was reverse painted black. Then I decided to use blanks from the same pour to make the 2nd kitless pen I've made. I really don't like that the kitless pen came out so translucent but I think I'll leave it that way. I included a pic of one of the pieces left over from the casting. I took some pictures in direct sunlight and then inside a light tent out in the sun because the blanks really start to look different depending on the amount of light...especially the reverse painted one...I love rotating it in the light and watching the shimmers. I still haven't figured out how to get the results I'd like with the photos.

Attachments

• Blank2_Pens2.jpg
    Blank2_Pens2.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Kitless2_2.jpg
    Kitless2_2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Kitless2_3.jpg
    Kitless2_3.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Kitless2_4.jpg
    Kitless2_4.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Blank2_Pen1.jpg
    Blank2_Pen1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 202
  • Blank2_Pen3.jpg
    Blank2_Pen3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 155
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Both pens look great! That shimmer effect is very difficult to capture in a photo because of the movement that is required to see it. I really like the translucency of the kitless.

BSea

I really like that blank. I've always wondered why kitless pens weren't reverse painted. I think that looks so much better with the black. I am a real beginner when it comes to kitless. About the only thing I see is that the threads for the cap. Looks like you went too far. I do that too. It's hard to determine when to stop.

Gilrock

I really like that blank. I've always wondered why kitless pens weren't reverse painted. I think that looks so much better with the black. I am a real beginner when it comes to kitless. About the only thing I see is that the threads for the cap. Looks like you went too far. I do that too. It's hard to determine when to stop.

Yeah the problem is a made a mandrel to hold the cap while turning and I machined a lot more threads on the mandrel than on the pen bodies I install them on. I could remove some of the threads on the mandrel but I keep thinking I'm mainly going to use non-translucent blanks and it won't matter.

SDB777

The inside the light tent photo's just don't show everything with these blanks. Thanks for taling them outside to get a shot! The sunlight just made them explode all over my monitor!!!!

Reverse painting = thumbs up!!!

Scott

Top Bottom