Kitchen Cupboard from reclaimed paneling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cdcarter

cdcarter

This is why I haven't been posting any pens lately. A few weeks ago, this was a bunch of scrap paneling pulled off my sister's kitchen wall. I'm calling it a "Green Cupboard" since it's recycled.

Involved a LOT of jointing, resurfacing, etc. I didn't want it to be like a piece of fine furniture ... more like something your grandmother left you. It's really just a piesafe with raised panels instead of tin and plywood.

I'll be interested in reactions. Never done anything like this before.

piesafe.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Carl, from where I sit, that's a great effort. I looked hard for something to criticize and I think the best I can do is suggest replacing the pulls with something larger to complement the scale of the piece. Other than that, I like everything about it.

VisExp

That looks great. It's nice to see wood being reclaimed and give new life. You design and execution is great as is the finish. BTW what finish did you use? The only thing I don't like is the contrasting drawer front.

cdcarter

The reason for the contrasting drawer is that I ran out of the reclaimed wood and had to use new Oak. I just wasn't able to get it to the color of the old stuff.

The old wood was stained with Colonial Maple, but it left the drawer way too light, so I had to go back over it with some walnut and even mahogany to darken it. Hues just never quite came together.

Varnish is just satin poly.

Originally posted by VisExp

That looks great. It's nice to see wood being reclaimed and give new life. You design and execution is great as is the finish. BTW what finish did you use? The only thing I don't like is the contrasting drawer front.

VisExp

Carl, as I was writing my previous post, I was wondering if the reason for the contrasting drawer front was because you had run out of reclaimed wood. Thanks for the reply.

Rmartin

Very nice work. I do agree with the others that the drawer draws the eye. It may be a picture/color thing and not as pronounced in person though. I would consider changing the drawer front. You may be able to test stain a few scrape pieces of various woods until you find a better match, or, painting it. I know that sounds crazy, but I've seen painted pieces with hand painted accents fetch quite a bit of money.

Top Bottom