Killer Bug!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

This thing came after me with reckless abandon this morning and had it not been dealt 4 shots of hornet spray I probably would not be posting this thread now.

Do you know what it is and do you think it will hold up to casting in a bottle stopper?

Tom

PS - Big men do scream like little girls sometimes. It's nothing to be ashamed of...

Attachments

• Bug 1.jpg
    Bug 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Bug 2.jpg
    Bug 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,204

Justturnin

Looks like a Texas Hornet to me. I see pics of Hornets that look like wasps but these are the only ones I have seen around here. I feel you about the screaming thing. While I may not scream I sure flail my arms around and run like a girl when one comes at me. I wonder if my neighbors have witnessed this yet.....

bitshird

We get them here in Tennessee, a friend ran over a nest on a tractor, talk about a lot of pain. he was stung over 30 places and got quite sick.

juteck

Cast it - absolutely. Make a cap for one of your deck posts - teach his buddies you are not to be messed with!! Not sure what the spray of death will do to the casting, as it is most likely petroleum based.

renowb

I saw one yesterday flying around me. I believe to be a hornet. Looked like a small sparrow. Those things are huge!

renowb

Looks like a Texas Hornet to me. I see pics of Hornets that look like wasps but these are the only ones I have seen around here. I feel you about the screaming thing. While I may not scream I sure flail my arms around and run like a girl when one comes at me. I wonder if my neighbors have witnessed this yet.....

Chris, I didn't see you, but I can imagine it! LOL!

tkbarron

I got chased off the roof of my previous home by a swarm of hornets; they were the junior version of this beast. I was stung about 15 times on the back and have never, before or after, suffered so much in my life. I can't imagine what it would feel life to be stung by this one. Glad I didn't find out!

I think I'll make a bottle stopper with him.

Tom

PTsideshow

Have to go with the ground hornet too don't know the fancy name. Was camping with parents 50 some years ago in a state park in the finger lakes area of New York. Was out picking up firewood, the ground was made of assorted slabs of a rock piled on each other. I stepped on on and it tipped it was the top of one of their nests.

They covered me like a blanket, I dropped the wood and by pure luck ran towards the water. And into the water and went under before I knew what I was doing. I moved a little ways away and came up, there were a couple hanging around and they had to be killed as they wouldn't stop.

Can't say if I screamed at all, or like a little girl as they stung the inside of my mouth when it was open!

It took over 40 minutes to get to the closest hospital, And the doctor another hour to get there.

My father grab him by the shirt collar and picked up off the floor! The Doctor said wait a minute, Your son will be ok as you said it was over 40 minutes since he was stung. He then told us that in about 20/25 minutes, if the person isn't dead they are out of danger!

The nurses were dabbing something on each sting, the counted over 179. When the doctor told them to just paint it on me. Hurt like hell for a couple of days.
Was a hell of a way to start a 4 week vacation road trip that year, for a 13 year old.
He said that it was no indication that I might not have problems in the future. I have been stung on a number of occasions and also watch out for signs of any symptoms and so far nothing.
:clown:

Drstrangefart

We call 'em Japanese Hornets around here. I kept a tennis racket on the back deck for them. I had a weird aerated skillet for some kind of camp cooking, but it was difficult to swing with much power. You could hear the DING when it hit from inside the house, though. The tennis racket was much more devastating to them, though.

BKelley

Mash it's rear body, does a stinger poke out? If not it is harmless, should a stinger appear it is some kind of hornet. I have seen some large bee like bugs whose protection was to look mean.

Ben

tkbarron

OMG that is the scariest story I've ever heard! What a walking nightmare!!

Tom

Have to go with the ground hornet too don't know the fancy name. Was camping with parents 50 some years ago in a state park in the finger lakes area of New York. Was out picking up firewood, the ground was made of assorted slabs of a rock piled on each other. I stepped on on and it tipped it was the top of one of their nests.

They covered me like a blanket, I dropped the wood and by pure luck ran towards the water. And into the water and went under before I knew what I was doing. I moved a little ways away and came up, there were a couple hanging around and they had to be killed as they wouldn't stop.

Can't say if I screamed at all, or like a little girl as they stung the inside of my mouth when it was open!

It took over 40 minutes to get to the closest hospital, And the doctor another hour to get there.

My father grab him by the shirt collar and picked up off the floor! The Doctor said wait a minute, Your son will be ok as you said it was over 40 minutes since he was stung. He then told us that in about 20/25 minutes, if the person isn't dead they are out of danger!

The nurses were dabbing something on each sting, the counted over 179. When the doctor told them to just paint it on me. Hurt like hell for a couple of days.
Was a hell of a way to start a 4 week vacation road trip that year, for a 13 year old.
He said that it was no indication that I might not have problems in the future. I have been stung on a number of occasions and also watch out for signs of any symptoms and so far nothing.
:clown:

Last edited:

Crashmph

I am allergic enough to most of these #(%&$# things. I have been stung on the eyebrow before and both eyes swelled shut for 3 days. Not fun when you are a teenager with a mangled face from a few stings.

Michael

tkbarron

I mounted the beast on a maple burl cap and cast it in Alumilite. Big mistake! I knew I should have used my supply of PR. Oh well, live and learn...

Tom

Attachments

• Bug 3.jpg
    Bug 3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Bug 4.jpg
    Bug 4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 906

Joe S.

I mounted the beast on a maple burl cap and cast it in Alumilite. Big mistake! I knew I should have used my supply of PR. Oh well, live and learn...

Tom

CATCH ANOTHER!!!!!!!!! That is the bestest and awesomest and super coolest bottle stopper blank I have ever seen!!!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!!!

watch_art

Geez man - glad it didn't sting you. That's scary. I've been stung by brown and red wasps before and they hurt like hell. A brown one stung me in the left cheek - felt like I got punched in the face. Fell backwards. Stung by the big red one driving home one night. It landed on my left hand while I was turning into my subdivision and stung the web between finger and thumb. I knocked the rear view mirror off the glass swatting at it with something from the front seat after I pulled over. I stood outside the car for about 10 minutes waiting for it to fly out at me but I must have killed it. Then once I was stung in the left hand, middle finger, first knuckle by my nail, cleaning out leaves and junk from the door jamb on my old 75 firebird. I didn't know there was a fresh nest right there. I really didn't feel like working on the car much after that. I eventually did though - took about three years. Mostly during winter. :)

Justturnin

Tom

Drop it in acetone for a week and chip it off. May take a few rounds but I think you can clean it off. I have been tryibg to get one but they are fast.

robutacion

Tom

Tom,

I don't think that the Alumilite was the problem, the moisture content was...!

The creature body has to be dehydrated (dry) before you can cast it successfully. All those bubbles around the creature body are the result on water/moisture...!

The PR (polyester) resin, does exactly the same thing to anything that is attempted to be cast so some excessive moisture content. The heat from the resin setting creates "vapour" around the surface that can't escape therefore, gets caught and solidified as the resin hardens.

The spray can you used to kill it, does also add and extra layer of moisture that would haven been dried off if chambered in a dehydrator for some days...!

Live and learn, that's the lesson and if have read some of my wood stories, you will understand why I know all this, as I have been on the receiving end of nasty bites and I always get my "revenge", well the one that I'm prepared to reveal here, as you don't want to know what I do sometimes, after I have been bitten/hurt by these sort of creatures :mad::mad::mad::mad:, oh yeah...!:eek::wink:

Anyway, next time you have another "opportunity", you will do a better job...!

PS: Still deserves to be turned, it will always represent a "moment" in life where you $#!T yourself...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Drstrangefart

Tom

Drop it in acetone for a week and chip it off. May take a few rounds but I think you can clean it off. I have been tryibg to get one but they are fast.

If you have what I refer to as BALLS THE SIZE OF CHURCH BELLS, you can swat one out of the air with a baseball cap and stun it. Then they're pretty easy to capture. This being said, I never do that unless it's a desperate KILL IT NOW! KILL IT WITH FIRE! situation. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to attempt to do it with any premeditation.

keithkarl2007

I'd have ran for the hills lol. Bugs and insects on this side of the pond are fairly small. Anything like this I would probably soil my undies :biggrin::biggrin: ok slight exaggeration :embarrassed:

JohnU

Can't wait to see that cast! I had one similar in the back window of my car at work that had died. I was letting him get good and dry before I tried to cast him but the wife got him with the vacuum before I could. Good luck!

Fred

What you have here is a very mature eastern cicada killer wasp. They stun their prey, a cicada, with their sting and feed them to their joung. They are usually harmeless to humans, but are very aggressive looking and thus the screaming girl thing.

You want to run and scream about something just TRY and mess with one of these beasts ... a Velvet Ant (actually a wingless wasp) ... Mutillidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. One of these creatures stings you and you will beg for death to save you.

BTW, these insect battle tanks must be crushed between a very hard bolder and a large 40 pound sledgehammer to ensure that they are dead. Take NO PRISONERS with this creature as they sure don't capture any. Their wire like stinger is about as long as their back half and they use every millimeter when they sting. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Top Bottom