Kauri Wood Group Buy - UPDATE 1/19/07

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

Lou and I were discussing getting some Kauri blanks and decided to open it up and see if there is any interest. I've opened a discussion with them and said we would only be interested in highly figured wood, 3/4" square x 5.5-6" long. I have no idea yet as to the cost per blank, but their regular price is $55.00 for 10 blanks. This could be more since I'm requiring highly figured wood, but it could also be less since the quantity would be greater.

EDIT: For those that want to see some of this wood, here's a link to their website. Click on the button labeled "Exceptional Grains." The stump slab is what I'm aiming for.
http://www.ancientwood.com/

12/28 - I got pricing for 300 blanks, but the pricing is for "active grain" not the stump slab stuff. Since I gave them that number there's been a lot more interest so I've asked for pricing for 400 blanks cut from stump slabs. I will post more information as I get it.

1/1/07 - This is "on hold" for a bit until I get some representative samples from them. If the samples pass and they will guarantee that the group buy will be at least as good, then this will go ahead. The price will be around $4.75 each. Once I get the samples, I'll start a new topic and post the picture.

1/8/07 - I'm waiting to get the samples, should be on the way.

1/16/07 - I got the samples and they look pretty good. I have a price per blank but I need the cost for shipping them to me and that's what I'm currently waiting on. Once I have that, I will start a new topic for the group buy and include photos of the samples I got as well as pictures of pens that Lou and I made from the samples. I hope to have the shipping costs today or tomorrow at the latest.

1/19/07 - If you want to order some Kauri, use this link http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21166 This thread was only to determine interest in having a group buy.

Dario

Gerry,

Good idea...but as I stated before, wood being unique (each piece) will be very tricky to distribute FAIRLY on a group buy.

Good luck!!!

gerryr

Chris,
My intention is to get blanks from a stump slab and I will want to see pictures of it first. If that can't be done, then I don't intend to run a group buy or to even buy any.

cozee

I might be iun for a few depending on the price. Certificate is unimportant to me as they cannot prove 50,000 years.

imagine

I would be in for some as well. I ordered from them before Christmas and they sent me 12 blanks with papers for 10. Half were nice half were plain. Sold every one before they were even made. Novelty value. Pain to work though.

JimGo

Please...I'd like 10-15 depending on price. I started speaking with them a few months ago, but had trouble getting them to agree to send me pics of THE pieces before I bought. I hadn't thought about getting root stock, though. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Mikey

"Since I gave them that number there's been a lot more interest so I've asked for pricing for 400 blanks cut from stump slabs. I will post more information as I get it. "

Since i did a group buy of pens early in 06, my experience was that many people will say they want a lot, but then when it come time to write the check, some back out. If they think they can do 300, then I would get the orders and then bargain with them for better stock vs maybe a lower price. Would they be cutting the 300+ blanks, or would they be sending a slab over here?

gerryr

I don't intend to cut any wood into blanks. Not only do I not have the time or patience to do it, but I don't know that my bandsaw would hold up to that much cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom