Just Getting Started

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffgrig

I am new here and so happy I found this forum. I am brand new to pen turning I haven't bought squat yet, and am now researching tools and equipment and reading many posts here. I was a hobbyist woodworker but have never owner a lathe, so I have questions hopefully you nice folks can help me with:
To turn pens, do I need an aftermarket chuck? How about a 'live' center-whatever that is?

I plan to purchase a Jet benchtop drill press and mini lathe. I am currently negotiating with a guy on CL for a Jet 12x20, indexing lathe with Barracuda 2 chuck and few tools - $500. Does this seem reasonable?

Otherwise, it is a new Jet 10x14 VS for $529 from Amazon. I am excited to get going and want to start turning soon. Thanks for all your input.

Shorewood, IL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Pm me if you would be interested in a Craftsman 12" bandsaw with about half a dozen new blades, 15" Craftsman drill press and a starter lathe. I have several extra old lathes one of which might suit you while you are learning. Easy to move up later if you like the hobby. On top of that I have enough extra blanks that you will not lack for things to turn.

pm me at jfoh5914@aol.com or pm on this site.

glycerine

If you're getting a scroll chuck anyway, I would also get a jacobs chuck for the tailstock, skip getting the drill press and just drill on the lathe.
As far as the lathe, I don't think you could go wrong with either of those.

dbledsoe

I have the Jet 10x14VSI and I love it. The cost of the lathe is only a small fraction of what you will spend. Every time you blink, there will be a new too you just can't live without.

If I may offer a bit of advise. When you get geared up and ready to go don't just start cranking out pens. Take your time and pay attention to the details. Work on getting your fit and finish perfect. Instead of making more pens work on making better pens. As for kits, I would start with chrome ones the 24 ct gold ones don't have a durable finish.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A live center is extermly helpful and you should have one. Make sure it has a 60 degree taper to it. Not all of them do. A live center has ball bearings built in so that the part than engages the work turns with the work. A "Dead center" doesnt spin, rather the work spins on it and needs lubrication work properly. When you get your lathe or even now ask on here where to get one and they will send you in the right direction. I would direct you to Johnycnc a member here who sells them or enco or little machine shop.

Jim Burr

Banned
Welcome Jeff!
See if there is a turning club in your area...bet there is. Hang out with those guys for a bit and see what's up. Jet 1220 is a good lathe for just about anything and I used my Barracuda this morning. I turned my swap pen on my 1014 and some big bowls on the 1642. Someone asked my how much the first pen I turned was worth..."about three grand" was my answer. Buy the best so you don't have to replace it later. But before you start anything, take a picture of how much cash you have in your wallet...frame it and get used to a heck of a lot less!:rolleyes:

jeffgrig

Thanks all.....good advice. My deal fell through, so I will most likely go with a new Jet 1014VS. For all I want/need, I estimate my 'initial' investment to be around $1500 - $2000. I am selling one of my motorcycles to swing that.

Now that's commitment!!

glycerine

jeffgrig said:
Thanks all.....good advice. My deal fell through, so I will most likely go with a new Jet 1014VS. For all I want/need, I estimate my 'initial' investment to be around $1500 - $2000. I am selling one of my motorcycles to swing that.

Now that's commitment!!

You might as well go ahead and sell the rest of them. This hobby is a money pit!!

oneptbuk

If I may offer a bit of advise. When you get geared up and ready to go don't just start cranking out pens. Take your time and pay attention to the details. Work on getting your fit and finish perfect. Instead of making more pens work on making better pens. As for kits, I would start with chrome ones the 24 ct gold ones don't have a durable finish.

I completely agree with that. I started this hobby after taking a class at Woodcraft and it felt like you could crank out pens in a couple of hours. However, it quickly became apparent that I could crank out really crappy pens that way. As with anything, the devil is in the detail, and it's no different here. This forum has been invaluable to me, as I am creatively challenged. I'm a much better mimicker than creator, unfortunately.....

BTW, I found a used Jet 10x14 and it's been a very good machine. Not VS, but perfect for me to get started on. Luckily, the guy threw in some chucks too, so I was able to figure out more of what I needed since there are more accessories in wood/pen turning than stars in the sky.....

Good luck!

Top Bottom