• cigar1.jpg
    cigar1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 406
  • cigar2.jpg
    cigar2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Wow, those look great. Everytime I try to cover an entire pen with labels it looks like crap, yours on the other hand look well designed. Nice job.

Focushere

Did you cast them blanks? How was it done? Very nice pens.

I turned a piece of scrap wood on to the tubes to the shape I wanted. You have to turn the wood all the way down to the tubes at each end where the bushings meet. Then I cut out the part of the Cigar Labels I wanted to use and glued them to the turned piece. Just like making a collage like you did back in elementary school art class. I do this off the lathe of course. Then I apply about 4 or 5 coats of decoupage. Let it dry thoroughly between each coat. You can buy it at any craft store. Mount the decorated tube on your mandrel and put back on the lathe at a slow speed and build up with CA. Several coats of medium are applied. I then cut the blanks away from the bushings then I sand the CA and finish with Micro Mesh. I think it would be easier to cast them in resin, but I just started pen turning and haven't ventured to that point yet.

Focushere

Correction: not 4 or 5 coats of decoupage (4 or 5 coats of Mod Podge)

Did you cast them blanks? How was it done? Very nice pens.

I turned a piece of scrap wood on to the tubes to the shape I wanted. You have to turn the wood all the way down to the tubes at each end where the bushings meet. Then I cut out the part of the Cigar Labels I wanted to use and glued them to the turned piece. Just like making a collage like you did back in elementary school art class. I do this off the lathe of course. Then I apply about 4 or 5 coats of decoupage. Let it dry thoroughly between each coat. You can buy it at any craft store. Mount the decorated tube on your mandrel and put back on the lathe at a slow speed and build up with CA. Several coats of medium are applied. I then cut the blanks away from the bushings then I sand the CA and finish with Micro Mesh. I think it would be easier to cast them in resin, but I just started pen turning and haven't ventured to that point yet.

PaulDoug

I really like the way that turned out. I got into cigar box guitars a while back which got me interested in cigar box art. There is quite a following of collectors of cigar box art. Just search cigar box labels on e-bay. There are some cool ones. I have a bunch on my wall in my work shop. The bands are collectible also. I have to try one of these pens someday. Thanks for posting and very nice work.

Top Bottom