Just another stopper...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SuperDave

SuperDave

... made from Exotic and Domestic Hardwoods and S.S. Stopper...

Critiques welcome

200875204759_Laminated%20Stopper.jpg

200875204819_Laminated%20Stopper%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Just?

It looks like you've done great job creating an interesting pattern with a great combination of colors. Nice finish, too!

-Barry

Dave,
That appears to be the shorter cone stopper... I like that better than what I've been using.. matter of fact, I stopped making the cones because I felt they were top heavy, yours doesn't look top heavy. Where do you get the short cones?

SuperDave

Originally posted by ozmandus

Dave,
That appears to be the shorter cone stopper... I like that better than what I've been using.. matter of fact, I stopped making the cones because I felt they were top heavy, yours doesn't look top heavy. Where do you get the short cones?

Chuck,

I get them from Ruth Niles. I use the threaded version but she sells both types; threaded and non-threaded.

Dave

JohnU

Dave that turned out great! I like the block glue up and its finished look. Better get busy cutting and gluing. This ones going to be a hit!

SuperDave

Originally posted by gad5264

Dave,
I really like that combination of wood.

Would you happen to have any process pics of the glue up for this blank?

Thanks for the positive comments...:)

Grant,

I didn't take any pictures of the process. Essentially, I cut several strips of three different wood species (Walnut, Mahogany and Bloodwood) and put them through a drum sander to get them the same thickness on all four sides. Then I glued them into alternating checkerboard patterns, making about five layers if I recall correctly. Then the five layers were glued into a block in a mirrored pattern.

When I drilled the center hole, I was off a few thousands of an inch, so the Bloodwood intersections are not "perfectly even" around the stopper... should have used my lathe and Stronghold chuck to drill the hole and not the drill press.

Total time into the stopper... around 8 manhours...[:0]

Top Bottom