Just another from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lazyguy

I started getting PSI catalogs when I signed up to get MLCScatalogs and I mentioned pen turning to a co-worker and it turns out he had done some and after some discussion on pen turning with him my interest level started to spike. I started pursuing the internet for information. I first found some really good youtube videos and then found IAP and have been lurking here ever since. I think I have read all the articles in the library. So in December with my tight wad budget and a HF coupon took home a HF 65345. I have no real complaints with the lathe since all the issues I had I found others having the same on their more expensive machines. (searching a forum such as this can help solve many mysteries)
So far I have turned 7 pens, some good, some not so good but it is the process. I only used my mandrel for my first two pens, it didn't take me long to learn the advantages of TBC.

The top is mesquite and is my first pen the bottom one is cocobolo and is my second currently residing in my mom's Bible.

Attachments

• penone and two.jpg
    penone and two.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome. Those pens look quite good! Can't wait to see what you do next.

Since you've read so much in the library, you've probably come across these. But I'll pass them on to you anyway.
Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Welcome from the mitten.
OK, I've been here a while, maybe getting old, but i do not understand the TBC advantages.

(searching a forum such as this can help solve many mysteries)
So far I have turned 7 pens, some good, some not so good but it is the process. I only used my mandrel for my first two pens, it didn't take me long to learn the advantages of TBC.

The top is mesquite and is my first pen the bottom one is cocobolo and is my second currently residing in my mom's Bible.

lazyguy

Thank you all for your kind greetings. We are truly blessed in this age to be able to associate and communicate with such ease across national borders and across continents.

Welcome from the mitten.
OK, I've been here a while, maybe getting old, but i do not understand the TBC advantages.

Maybe the advantages are in the eye of the beholder. My first pen was horribly OOR and the second not so pronounced. Since eliminating the mandrel OOR issue vanished. Granted the second pen OOR was diminished by finally getting a 60 degree live center successive pens without the mandrel have shown no OOR. So in my case I'll just leave it out of the equation. Kinda like when I was a kid I wanted a 10 speed bike but my dad warned me that "a bike with more parts means more part to break down." I still eventually got a 10 speed because at 13 I was sooo much much smarter than my dad. :cool:

its_virgil

Welcome from Wichita Falls. Watch for the next meeting of the N Texas IAP Chapter. We look forward to meeting you.
Do a good turn daily!
don

I started getting PSI catalogs when I signed up to get MLCScatalogs and I mentioned pen turning to a co-worker and it turns out he had done some and after some discussion on pen turning with him my interest level started to spike. I started pursuing the internet for information. I first found some really good youtube videos and then found IAP and have been lurking here ever since. I think I have read all the articles in the library. So in December with my tight wad budget and a HF coupon took home a HF 65345. I have no real complaints with the lathe since all the issues I had I found others having the same on their more expensive machines. (searching a forum such as this can help solve many mysteries)

Top Bottom