Just A Few Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This is just to show some of the bowls that I have made in the very few months since getting my Ringmaster.
Of course it doesn't show at least a dozen that I have already given away previous to taking the photo.

403806005.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

The two I have circled in red are my favorites. They really jump out at you. What is the one I have circled in black?

Bill Young.jpg

D.Oliver

Sorry Bill I should have been more specific. I was asking about the bowl that is located five up and one to the left from the bottom right corner . It has a black circle around it in the attachment in my first post. You've done a great job on all of these.

Last edited:

W.Y.

Sorry Bill I should have been more specific. I was asking about the bowl that is located five up and one to the left from the bottom right corner . It has a black circle around it in the attachment in my first post. You've done a great job on all of these.

OH . . . that was my mistake. I didn't notice the one circled in black . :redface:
That is the Yew bowl that I posted along with the Yew dish yesterday .

403798566.jpg

woodgraver

What a great collection of ringmaster bowls. I've done a few, some even come close to resembeling what you have produced...but many of yours are just so very impressive in your thoughtfulness of design. Awesome job!

robutacion

These look great. Don't know if you've seen it but on Malcolm Tibbets website he has an article on turning a bowl from pen blanks. Check it out here http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/penblankbowl.pdf

Thanks for the link, impressive stuff, also...!:biggrin:

The use of pen blanks for bowls, is most certainly one of the best ways to resolve the issue of what to do, with many of those less figured and colourful ones, still given all the necessary variations of light, medium and dark woods.

I wonder where I can get some spare pen blanks...???:wink::biggrin:

PS: The way you are going William, won't be long before you have so many pieces done that you have to get back to the shows to sell them all, huh...???

Cheers
George

Last edited:

W.Y.

PS: The way you are going William, won't be long before you have so many pieces done that you have to get back to the shows to sell them all, huh...???

Cheers
George

I have pretty well got away from doing craft sales on a regular basis like I used to but I am going to try a few pre-Christmas ones locally this year just with bowls and see how it goes. Pens no longer sell at all in my area with so many people buying a mini lathe and making pens to sell just for the price they paid for the kits.
I am only interested in covering expenses for supplies and keep the house from getting full of them. :biggrin: It is very addictive making those bowls and with no hardware kits to have to buy any scraps of wood between 6 and 12 inches long can be turned into nice looking bowls.

robutacion

Cheers
George

I have pretty well got away from doing craft sales on a regular basis like I used to but I am going to try a few pre-Christmas ones locally this year just with bowls and see how it goes. Pens no longer sell at all in my area with so many people buying a mini lathe and making pens to sell just for the price they paid for the kits.
I am only interested in covering expenses for supplies and keep the house from getting full of them. :biggrin: It is very addictive making those bowls and with no hardware kits to have to buy any scraps of wood between 6 and 12 inches long can be turned into nice looking bowls.

I couldn't agree with you more, and when it comes to "keep the house from getting full of them" that is already too damn late for me, the house is flooded with my turnings of all sizes, shapes, and forms, all the close friends are getting a little tired of receiving wood turned pieces, including pens so, is only so much one can give away however, I will not take them anywhere for sale, I hate shows and fancy stores or galleries, have already made all the money they are/were to get from me so, I will be thinking of donations to hospitals or something, cause ain't going stop turning, that is a promise...! :wink::)

Good luck,
Cheers
George

W.Y.

I am enjoying looking at these bowls. It makes me think maybe I can segment one up. I may need a thinner blade for my band saw.

Thanks for showing

I have made a few on the band saw in the past and although it is do-able, it is a slow process of cutting the board in half to make half rings and glue them back together . Maybe some are faster at doing that than I am but I cut all the rings out on a Ringmaster in just a small fraction of the time it takes to use the band saw method.

moke

William,
I always enjoy looking at your work...it gives everyone a higher goal to aim for.
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post.

SDB777

Is your Ringmaster a 'bolt to the lathe' or the entire set-up?

Very nicely done on all....but the ERC just steals the show in the big photo!!

Scott (gotta put that on my short list) B

W.Y.

Is your Ringmaster a 'bolt to the lathe' or the entire set-up?

Very nicely done on all....but the ERC just steals the show in the big photo!!

Scott (gotta put that on my short list) B

It is the model 723 complete with motor . Glad I got it that way instead of having to be forever taking it on and off the lathe. .
Just got back from a very good sale of bowls at a small village fun day with only a handful of vendors. More on that later after processing photos .

Top Bottom