Jr Retro RB and Ligero FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan_F

Dan_F

Here are a couple just recently finished.

Mango Jr Retro in Ti gold. Not sure if I like the slightly pregnant look of this one, it was the first capped pen I've done. It's overturned in places, will probably get a new suit of clothes in the future.

P1010806.jpg

Spalted Maple Ligero FP in Rhodium.

P1010823.jpg

P1010824.jpg

The top of the cap is overturned on this one too, but not bad enough to warrant doing over. I'm still very much on the learning curve.

The finish on both pens is CA. It didn't photograph well on the Ligero, but both pens are very glossy. I'll have to revisit the photo forum and see how folks are getting the shine to pop more. I quit using BLO, had too many issues with patchy shine. In fact, the reason the barrel of the Retro was overturned is because I had to sand down to the wood and redo the finish. So far I have had better luck with straight CA.

Dan[

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

Since I'm up and the first to see this..A-OK I don't like the retro kit, but you did a nice job on it, the finish looks very goood Mango is an interesting wood..

And secondly, I really like the Retro and you did a fine job on it. I am not a big fan of the Ligero unless it is extremely modified, but yours looks really well done. In the future, unless it is obscenely obvious and you want advice, let us find the errors(thats half the fun). If they are visible, we'll find 'em. Next, you have to photograph the right angle, so they dont show. I know, I am giving up secrets...shhh, we all do it.

pipeyeti

I'm not a fan of the ligero pens but yours looks nice. One of my favorite pens is the retro. My opinion is that that kit is suited to a little pregnant look. I think that the flare on the top and the flare on the centerband look silly if the pen is turned staight B2B. My .02 .

igran7

Both pens look fantastic, you did an outstanding on job on both of them. I have to agree with what Glenn said above. Don't point out the shortcomings of your pens (unless it is blatenly obvious) We all have them, there is no such thing as a perfect pen...even though we would like to think there is:D

You pointed out that the Retro is overturned and has a pregnant look and will probably be a "do over". On the Ligero you mentioned that the cap is overturned, you are learning, & you didn't photograph well.

None of those things are obvious, at least not from where I am sitting.

Tanner

Both pens look great. I'm not a fan of the pregnant look. The Spalted Maple Ligero looks awesome. Don't be too concerned about seeing a shine line. You really don't need one to show off the beauty of the wood. You did good Dan.

toolcrazy

Both Pens look great. Neither warrant a do over. Hand your pens to someone else and see if they notice the minor error. You will find they wont. An artist is their own worst critic.

karlkuehn

Banned
I agree with Larry, that kit needs to have a little swell in the barrels to offset the shape of the fittings. The retro kit reminds me of designs from the 50's, and a Chevy from that era wouldn't have looked anywhere near as nice without all the curvy lines. You did good!:)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I really like both of these pens . I call this a great save on your part . You saw something you didn't like & used your skills to correct it as best you could . I wouldn't do these over . And I agree with the others . Well done !! [8D]

Top Bottom