See more from johnnycnc

johnnycnc

Jr Majestic, black TI.
PSI's Stars & Stripes blank.
CA/ BLO finish.
Comments welcome!
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

The combination is a bit much for my taste, but had to try one.
I was not overly impressed with the blank for the price, had some color bleed issues on the red stripes onto the white stripes from ca gluing.Got it done though, with minimal transfer.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 436
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 439
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

John

You are a very busy man these days. That is a good thing. This kit turned out very well. I too have looked at these many times and the price is just abit for me right now. What would a pen like that with that kit on it sell for these days if you do not mind me asking???? Thanks for showing it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Johnny,

That is some really nice work. FWIW, I have used thinned wood glue to assemble the stars and stripes on kits like this. That totally prevents color bleed. (Not my idea, I got it from Ken Nelson's instructions.)

johnnycnc

John

You are a very busy man these days. That is a good thing. This kit turned out very well. I too have looked at these many times and the price is just abit for me right now. What would a pen like that with that kit on it sell for these days if you do not mind me asking???? Thanks for showing it.

Thanks, John. The price is pretty steep for me, also. i have a request from
a coin shop owner my Father is friends with for some pens to sell thru him
in his shop. I will be putting 125.00 on this one.If it sells for that all is good,
if not, there sure won't be any more for me!:)

johnnycnc

Johnny,

That is some really nice work. FWIW, I have used thinned wood glue to assemble the stars and stripes on kits like this. That totally prevents color bleed. (Not my idea, I got it from Ken Nelson's instructions.)

Thanks, Cav. That thinned wood glue sounds like just the answer, Thanks!
I was about half sick after initial glue up, seeing all the red bleed.
It mostly turned away, enough that it is acceptable. I reasoned that since the ca would bleed the red by itself,that if I used BLO on the blank first to coat/penetrate, then ca it might work ok. It did.
Thanks again for the tip!

johnnycnc

Nice Johnny, I saw one yesterday at the CT meeting. It looks like alot of work puting it together.

Thanks, Lupe. It wasn't as bad as I had it worked up in my mind before I started. The stripes are cake to do.Stars, a gentle touch is required "spearing" them with the exacto knife tip. I pushed thru a couple, blowing them to pieces and said #%&*!! just a little.:biggrin:

bracky1

Johnny, if you're ever doing another one try using a toothpick with a small bit of bluetac on the end to pick up the stars, rather than a blade :)

bracky1

That sounds like the voice of experience!
what's "bluetac" though?

Blue sticky stuff generally used for putting posters on walls/windows where you can't use pins :biggrin: a bit like chewing gum.
It may be called something else in the USA.

Rollerbob

John ,got one sitting on my bench, completed, blo/ca'd and stopped because I didn't like the bleeding.:mad: Going to sand it back down and start over.:frown: You seemed to have overcome the bleeding problem. Nice!:wink:

akbar24601

That looks really nice Johnny! You did good on gettin it done. I think that $125 is a fair price and I hope you are able to get it.

rej19

Very nice John. I haven't tackled one of them yet either. I have done a puzzle pen with moderate success and I would think they would be similar in effort. My wife has quizzed me on an upcoming birthday so I may put one on the list! I notice you've posted a couple of nice pens recently. How do you like turning wood compared to metal? You certainly turn out quality product which I need to place an order soon! Hope to see you at a future meeting. One coming up next month in the Bloomington area.

johnnycnc

Very nice John. I haven't tackled one of them yet either. I have done a puzzle pen with moderate success and I would think they would be similar in effort. My wife has quizzed me on an upcoming birthday so I may put one on the list! I notice you've posted a couple of nice pens recently. How do you like turning wood compared to metal? You certainly turn out quality product which I need to place an order soon! Hope to see you at a future meeting. One coming up next month in the Bloomington area.

Thanks, Ron! These aren't too bad to do, really.Pretty nice result when done, too.
Turning wood is cake compared to metal, the wood pens are what got me
sidetracked into the pen tools.:rolleyes:
I'll have to see what life holds for that next meeting, Bloomington is a pretty easy drive from here.

Top Bottom