Jr. Gent question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwojeck

I just made my first Jr. Gent, and I noticed that when I screw the cap on the pen, it closes completely, but the cap can keep being turned. I checked and the inside isn't moving, so it must be the threaded top. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

what part is turning? the whole cap or the clip or the wood. The clip might be due to not pressed on tight enough. the wood might be a bad glue joint. If it is the whole cap that is usually stripped threads but with a new kit this shouldnt be a factor. Not sure as to the fine points of the Jr Gents as I have only made three of em so far. Others will chime in I am sure.

Dean
Columbus OH

wayneis

It sounds to me like you somehow reamed the tube out to much, maybe cleaning after gluing? Anyway this is not normal and you'll have to somehow pull the centerband off and glue it back in. The other thing that may be loose is the nib holder on the lower half of the pan. If this is the case it's still not normal and you will need to pop that off and glue it back in. It doesn't take much CA glue, usually just a drop or two will be fine.

Wayne

tomwojeck

I think it might be that the threads are stripped. You can feel a click as it turns. If I try to move it with my hand, it doesn't budge, so I know I didn't loosen the barrel.

It's not that big a deal. My mom wants it and doesn't mind the cap funkyness.

Thanks for your replies!

Rudy Vey

First of all this is not normal, but happend to me as well!!
The problems are with the threads! What happend to me was that I got ten kits of the Ti Gold kits with the threaded end, and as I always do unpack the parts from the baggies and put them into a Plano storage box, every parts goes into its own compartment. This was a big mistake!! Bill B told me never to mix the pen parts from these kits as there are some known problems with the threads. For example, I tried to match the different threaded parts again, and have now pens that the cap can be put on normal, but mostly does not post on the back!! Luckily, *I got one or two pens that have not a problem.

My recommendation is to switch to the Baron kits anyways. I think their quality is better than the Gents Jrs. They come in more different types of plating and the Berea (maker of the Barons) Titanium Gold looks better to me, i.e. more like gold than the CSU, which has a brassy look.

Rudy

SE Mi

tomwojeck

Thanks for your input Rudy! I also received an order of Barons from Bill today, so when I finish the gents I'll go to the barons. I only ordered a few to see how I liked them. Also, I opened the other gentj jr. kits that I have and tried them out and the rest seemed OK.

Gary

Does anyone really believe that the manufacturers make these kits one at a time so each component in a kit is matched? Common sense says they make a production run of a zillion end caps on one day, a zillion end cap couplers the next day, then a zillion nib couplers another day, etc. They end up with giant hoppers filled with each component then they come down an assembly line to be thrown into the kits we buy. Organizing the parts in Plano boxes should be no problem

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />First of all this is not normal, but happend to me as well!!
The problems are with the threads! What happend to me was that I got ten kits of the Ti Gold kits with the threaded end, and as I always do unpack the parts from the baggies and put them into a Plano storage box, every parts goes into its own compartment. This was a big mistake!! Bill B told me never to mix the pen parts from these kits as there are some known problems with the threads. For example, I tried to match the different threaded parts again, and have now pens that the cap can be put on normal, but mostly does not post on the back!! Luckily, *I got one or two pens that have not a problem.

My recommendation is to switch to the Baron kits anyways. I think their quality is better than the Gents Jrs. They come in more different types of plating and the Berea (maker of the Barons) Titanium Gold looks better to me, i.e. more like gold than the CSU, which has a brassy look.

Rudy

SE Mi

wayneis

Gary it's not a problem with other kits other than the Jr. Gents. If you don't believe it buy about 10 or 20 kits mix the parts up and check for your self. You won't be a happy camper.

Wayne

Gary

Wayne, my experience with the Jr. Gent Kits (probably less than yours) is that it's a problem whether you mix the kits or not. I don't mix kits, and I still see problems with them. I assembled my 29th Jr. Gent kit this weekend, and I've had thread problems with a number of them. I feel that the thread tolerances are just too close. Just my opinion though.

dougle40

Bill B told me never to mix the pen parts from these kits as there are some known problems with the threads.
If this is indeed a problem , then that would tell me that they have at least 2 different suppliers for that kit . That's the only way that that statement would make any sense . It would depend largely on the "Quality Control" from each supplier and what tollerances that they allow . If one supplier's QC was much higher than the others then that could explain the thread differences .

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Gary
<br />Does anyone really believe that the manufacturers make these kits one at a time so each component in a kit is matched? Common sense says they make a production run of a zillion end caps on one day, a zillion end cap couplers the next day, then a zillion nib couplers another day, etc. They end up with giant hoppers filled with each component then they come down an assembly line to be thrown into the kits we buy. Organizing the parts in Plano boxes should be no problem

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />First of all this is not normal, but happend to me as well!!

Rudy

SE Mi

I agree with you totally Gary and I just spelled out here what I was told. For many years now I have put all the parts in Plano boxes and never had a problem with any other pen kit, it's just the Gent Jrs. Now I keep them in their bags until they're gone, and then make no more of them.

Rudy

SE Mi

PenPauli

I have made only two jr. gent pens and both of them had
problems with the threads when posting the cap. Now I
purchase them without the posting cap. I like the way it
looks better anywhay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom