Jr Gent II trouble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I've turned over 50 Jr. Gents, all bought from CSUSA. I have only had a problem with one , BUT it's the second time on the same pen.
The pen is for one of my best customers, who is a second generation pen aficionado.
The first comeback was the inside threaded portion, was broken threaded section of the plastic/or what ever. It broke right at the top of the threads near the thin part of the piece, I disassembled ti cap, and robbed a kit for the extra part and gently pressed it in.
Yesterday about 2 months later the same thing happened, only this time I notices the plastic threads of section/ grip had started ti unwind, which I thought strange, I've done well over a hundred of the Jr !! series of pens, a lot from Aaron and a large lot from CSUSA, and have never had any problems quite like this.
One time however I did have an ill mannered and even less intelligent person try and pull a Jr. Retro apart, all that happened was the entire plastic part came out of the cap.
I would show a picture of the damaged female portion of the cap, but after knocking it out with a transfer punch, it's rather hard to see any damage caused prior to removal.
So I have Two questions.
1 has any thing like this happened to any one else?
2 does any one have any of the cap pieces for Jr's.
This fellow is without question my very best customer he buys 15 to 20 pens a year, so I have to find a way to fix this for good. I even thought about turning and threading a piece of HDPE, but I'm still going to have to replace the front section since the threads came off of it.
[size=+4] HELP
[/size]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I have never had this happen to me with a jr gent 2. But it has with the cheap jr gent 1.
And you said "plastic threads of section/ grip", i am assuming you are using the 10k gold jr gent 2. If you are not you may have mistaken it for the jr gent 1. If you know you are using the jr gent 2, then please disregard that as I am not trying to make you seem dumb.

You should be able to call csusa and get a replacement. I like the berea female threaded pieces for caps more, because it extends all the way the length of the cap tube, so it cannot move and "pop" out. I am not saying they are better, but in my opinion I prefer the female and male threads they have on the atrax kit.

Also, could you specify what you mean by this "only this time I notices the plastic threads of section/ grip had started ti unwind, which I thought strange, I've done well over a hundred of the Jr !! series of pens, a lot from Aaron and a large lot from CSUSA, and have never had any problems quite like this."

A picture you help immensely. I would love to help more, but I cant get a picture in my head of what you mean.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I did get one kit that had rather sharp threads on it.. felt very rough to the touch.
I sent it back and it was replaced. But if one slips through like that, I could see it
possibly 'sawing' on the plastic threads..
But no, I haven't had the problem you describe so this might not be any help

I have a Jr. Gent. in TI gold that is missing the cap piece that the pen threads into and is also missing the clip. If you want it I could send it to you. I also have a complete kit in Black TI if you need it.

I had the same thing happen with a full size Majestic. It was a gift to David King (Le Grand Cirque) I watched him pick it up, look at it, tell me how beautiful it was, then immediately pull the cap and rip the threads right out of it. I never imagined that it would happen in a million years and if I hadn't seen it, I probably wouldn't have believed it.

As a side note, I had a Majestic Jr. that came back to me with the curling threads you mentioned. I'm just guessing that when the lid was screwed/unscrewed that the owner was pulling or pushing on the lid as they did it. Since you have metal on plastic for the smoothness, I think it just wore them out. That's just my guess as to what happened...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't know if it will work on Jr Gent 2 but I have threaded plastic inserts for jr Gent 1 caps.
I've turned over 50 Jr. Gents, all bought from CSUSA. I have only had a problem with one , BUT it's the second time on the same pen.
The pen is for one of my best customers, who is a second generation pen aficionado.
The first comeback was the inside threaded portion, was broken threaded section of the plastic/or what ever. It broke right at the top of the threads near the thin part of the piece, I disassembled ti cap, and robbed a kit for the extra part and gently pressed it in.
Yesterday about 2 months later the same thing happened, only this time I notices the plastic threads of section/ grip had started ti unwind, which I thought strange, I've done well over a hundred of the Jr !! series of pens, a lot from Aaron and a large lot from CSUSA, and have never had any problems quite like this.
One time however I did have an ill mannered and even less intelligent person try and pull a Jr. Retro apart, all that happened was the entire plastic part came out of the cap.
I would show a picture of the damaged female portion of the cap, but after knocking it out with a transfer punch, it's rather hard to see any damage caused prior to removal.
So I have Two questions.
1 has any thing like this happened to any one else?
2 does any one have any of the cap pieces for Jr's.

This fellow is without question my very best customer he buys 15 to 20 pens a year, so I have to find a way to fix this for good. I even thought about turning and threading a piece of HDPE, but I'm still going to have to replace the front section since the threads came off of it.
[SIZE=+4]HELP[/SIZE]​

carpblaster

I lost 2 so far due to the threads splitting, afraid to make anymore, will probably give away the ones i already made and tell them what can happen if you pull or twist it too hard, it is going to break, wish we could find metal threaded pieces
carpblaster

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I lost 2 so far due to the threads splitting, afraid to make anymore, will probably give away the ones i already made and tell them what can happen if you pull or twist it too hard, it is going to break, wish we could find metal threaded pieces
carpblaster
They used to have them and they had their own set of problems which is why they changed to plastic...metal on metal threads caused premature problems with plating.

Kinger

Could it be that there is a problem with the metal threads and when you screw them into the plastic ones it is damaging them

jzerger

This will not help solve your problem but I have noticed another way to mess up the beginning plastic threads on the Jr Gent I nib (yes the less expensive ones) is to tighten the nib too tightly. If this is done, usually when replacing the refill, I have had luck in just backing off (uncsrewing) the nib a fraction of a turn. Although I wish there were a better solution to the plastic issues, the black threads often make a nice accent. Some folks just love to really tighten anything they can. I started making the Jr Gent I as a try at capped pens. I personally like the Atrax and Triton BUT am often told they are "too fat". Also, the Atrax is nonpostable.

Chasper

I've had it happen when the user pushed the cap on instead of screwing it on, one customer told me that is what he did. Many long time capped pen users are more accustom to snap on caps and without thinking they try to push them on.

Joe Burns

Hadnt had this issue with the Jr. Gent IIs Ive made. I quit carrying one as my personal pen as I cant keep the cap on. It keeps unscrewing on me and ruining several shirts.

Joe

Gilrock

Yeah the pen owner probably doesn't damage it. It's all the people they show off the pen to. I don't know how many times I've handed someone a pen to look at and then I see them trying to get the cap off and I have to rush to stop them because I can see they are applying huge forces trying to pull the cap straight off or trying to twist the wrong direction.

Top Bottom