Jr Gent II Clip Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

I just completed two Jr. Gent II RB pens, my first two. I had a problem with the first leaving a mark (dent) on the upper barrel where the clip touches. I probably did this during assembly when I was trying to align the grain in both barrels. It is a side to side mark, so I think I flexed the clip.

On the first pen I applied what I call a soft finish (EEE cream followed by HUT friction polish and then to the buffer for some WD and wax) on top of Brazilian Rosewood, so I tried a CA/BLO finish on the second, thinking the harder finish would stop this. I gave this one 6 coates of CA/BLO, but it happened again, even though I was being carefull this time. Anything I can do to keep this from happening other than switching to acrylic blanks for this type pen? It has been about a $40 learning experience so far.

Texatdurango

I just completed two Jr. Gent II RB pens, my first two. I had a problem with the first leaving a mark (dent) on the upper barrel where the clip touches. I probably did this during assembly when I was trying to align the grain in both barrels. It is a side to side mark, so I think I flexed the clip.

On the first pen I applied what I call a soft finish (EEE cream followed by HUT friction polish and then to the buffer for some WD and wax) on top of Brazilian Rosewood, so I tried a CA/BLO finish on the second, thinking the harder finish would stop this. I gave this one 6 coates of CA/BLO, but it happened again, even though I was being carefull this time. Anything I can do to keep this from happening other than switching to acrylic blanks for this type pen? It has been about a $40 learning experience so far.

You are thinking right, just not following through enough. This used to happen to me now and then so I took a few steps to illiminate it.

First I started turning the blank down a little more and applying a thicker coat of CA. A coat of CA .002" thick will "dent" a lot easier than a coat that is .004" thick or thicker.

Then I finally figured out that just because the CA was hard enough to sand and finish, it WAS NOT FULLY CURED YET.

So, I started letting a pen sit at least overnight after applying the CA before I started sanding it.

In my opinion the CA did indeed get harder which as a side benefit, polished to a nicer shine and I didn't have those little clip marks anymore.

I also apply a dab of lock tight under the clip when pressing it on to keep the clip from spinning around. If you do this, make sure you have a rag handy to wipe the excess locktight off QUICKLY as it will ruin a CA finish if it gets on the CA.

Bobalu

You are thinking right, just not following through enough. This used to happen to me now and then so I took a few steps to illiminate it.

First I started turning the blank down a little more and applying a thicker coat of CA. A coat of CA .002" thick will "dent" a lot easier than a coat that is .004" thick or thicker.

Then I finally figured out that just because the CA was hard enough to sand and finish, it WAS NOT FULLY CURED YET.

So, I started letting a pen sit at least overnight after applying the CA before I started sanding it.

In my opinion the CA did indeed get harder which as a side benefit, polished to a nicer shine and I didn't have those little clip marks anymore.

I also apply a dab of lock tight under the clip when pressing it on to keep the clip from spinning around. If you do this, make sure you have a rag handy to wipe the excess locktight off QUICKLY as it will ruin a CA finish if it gets on the CA.

Thanks George. I just turned the third set of blanks, and this time applied a few more coats of CA. Unfortunately, I had already sanded before I read your post. I'll let this set sit for a few days, and give it another try. I'll give the Loc-Tite tip a try, as well. One other thought I had was to put some thin plastic under the clip during assembly. I have tons of .040" sheet here to work with.

Texatdurango

Thanks George. I just turned the third set of blanks, and this time applied a few more coats of CA. Unfortunately, I had already sanded before I read your post. I'll let this set sit for a few days, and give it another try. I'll give the Loc-Tite tip a try, as well. One other thought I had was to put some thin plastic under the clip during assembly. I have tons of .040" sheet here to work with.

I think after you let them sit before finishing, you're problem will be solved.

Another thing to keep in mind with CA is that it outgasses for several days to over a week depending on how much is used. If you ever use CA on a pen, especially inside on the tubes or gluing parts together, don't finish the pen and put it in a closed box because you will end up with a whitish coating over the metal parts of the pen.... more proof that the pen continues to cure for quite some time.

Top Bottom