JET

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong forum for the question.

Anyway, I bought mine from the local woodcraft. I wanted to support them and I got instant gratification.

I had also given some thought to ordering from amazon or CPO Jet.

OOPS

Woodcraft is having a special sale of 10% off on Jet machines from Sept. 20-30. It might be wise to wait, or at least call to see what the price will be.

Dan Masshardt

Woodcraft is having a special sale of 10% off on Jet machines from Sept. 20-30. It might be wise to wait, or at least call to see what the price will be.

The 1221 has been excluded from the sales so far. If I had to guess, I'd say it will be excluded this one too. Hopefully not. Your woodcraft store might know.

LanceD

Only Woodcraft near me is in Houston 5 hours away. I bought two on Amazon and both were shipped for free. At different times of course.

mdl7070

Stan Houston Equip Co Inc RS IW
1210 Deadwood Avenue
Rapid City, SD 57702
USA
P: 605-336-3727

a quick search from the jet website and the nearest dealer to you is this one.

Last edited:
Stan Houston Equip Co Inc RS IW
1210 Deadwood Avenue
Rapid City, SD 57702
USA
P: 605-336-3727

a quick search from the jet website and the nearest dealer to you is this one.

Already called them and they can't (or won't) get it

Levi Woodard
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

HamTurns

I looked and they are all selling for $799, so it looks to me like you should shop for the best deal on shipping after you verify they have it in stock.

Happy turning
Tom

brownsfn2

So Jealous. I would love to get one of the new Jet lathes but I would need to sell my Delta 46-460 first and I am not sure I can get enough for it.

brownsfn2

So Jealous. I would love to get one of the new Jet lathes but I would need to sell my Delta 46-460 first and I am not sure I can get enough for it.

The Jet has some more features but I'm not sure it's THAT much better.

I do like having the rpm readout.

I have play in my tail stock that drives me crazy. When I looked at the Jet at Woodcraft there was no play at all. That would be worth it to me. :)

I have play in my tail stock that drives me crazy. When I looked at the Jet at Woodcraft there was no play at all. That would be worth it to me. :)

I have a lot (more than 1/8) up and down and side to side motion in the tailstock that is one of the reasons what I want a new lathe for. I chose the 1221 because of size and the wide speed range. Now I have to convince dad to let me finalize the order. He doesn't seem to get the point with the play in the tailstock being bad.

Levi Woodard

larrystephens

A few weeks ago, CPO was having a 15% off sale on Jet and Powermatic, don't know when they will repeat. Also, at the SWAT symposium a vendor in Dallas was offering 15% off at the show.

Dan Masshardt

A few weeks ago, CPO was having a 15% off sale on Jet and Powermatic, don't know when they will repeat. Also, at the SWAT symposium a vendor in Dallas was offering 15% off at the show.

But jet had been mandating that the 1221 is excepted from the sales. Maybe these offerings were different but I doubt it.

PenMan1

If you try a 1221 Vs before you buy it, I doubt you'll be jealous any more. I have both the 46-460 and a Jet 1014Vsi in the shop. I was considering replacing the 1014 with the new 1221VSI, so I decided to demo the 1221. The Delta 46-460 outperforms the jet in every category. If you do any type of fluting, indexing, etc the 1221 is as cumbersome as the 1014.

The only feature the jet has extra is a digital readout. For $18 on eBay, you can add an accurate DRO to any wood lathe.

Additionally, for me (a right hander) just flipping the "irregular" mounted safety switch meant swapping hands with my cutting tools or repositioning-quite awkward . In other words "they lost me at on".

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Andy does have a lot of experience. I would be foolish to doubt him. :)

I really would not even think about it if my talstock did not have some play in it. I am just not sure how correct it.

Andy's answer does put some questions I had in my mind to rest though. Thanks for responding Andy.

Dan Masshardt

We're hijacking the thread here, but your tail stock issue with the Delta didn't sound like a design prob - I've not heard any other complaints about it. Maybe you should start a new post asking for other 46-460 owners to comment so you can see if there's a solution.

PenMan1

Not "dissing" the 1221. As I said, I was considering it to replace an old, worn out Jet 1014VSI..

Accurate indexing is a must for me. So after 30 minutes of spinning the 1221, I realized it was no better for what I wanted it for than what I already owned. To me, the Jets do a poor job of indexing and actually have less bed swing than the Delta that I paid $469 for. Jet makes fine products and I have a shop full of them.

My point was that IMHO, it is important to demo ANY lathe before you buy it. I have NO doubt that the 1221 is a fine product, it just doesn't meet my needs. Had I NOT tried before I bought, I would have spent $800 and been NO BETTER OFF. My point was to find a place (the big box wood stores will let you, if they know you) and "test drive" any lathe.

Respectfully Submitted.

Last edited:

PenMan1

I really would not even think about it if my talstock did not have some play in it. I am just not sure how correct it.

Andy's answer does put some questions I had in my mind to rest though. Thanks for responding Andy.

Call Delta! Some of the first 46-460s had tailstock issues. If yours has the "old style" switch, they'll likely send you a new tail stock. My neighbor bought the 46 before I did and his was a little different. His had some tailstock slop and they just sent him a whole new tailstock assembly.

I was able to play with the jet earlier this year when we were driving through Lexington KS. No turning just playing with the feel of switches and stuff. The only problem the closest store that I know has it is in Denver 6 hr away the local jet supplier says he can't get it.

Levi Woodard

Lenny

Call Delta! Some of the first 46-460s had tailstock issues. If yours has the "old style" switch, they'll likely send you a new tail stock. My neighbor bought the 46 before I did and his was a little different. His had some tailstock slop and they just sent him a whole new tailstock assembly.

It's good to hear that about Delta's service. I wrote an Amazon review of the Delta 46-460 after purchasing it. Subsequent reviewers have complained about difficulty with service. They did go through a transition in their parts and service. Hopefully this is a sign things have been worked out.
The Jet has a much slower "slow" speed (6o rpm vs. 250) but the Delta has a higher top speed (4000 rpm vs. 3600) ... for turning pens I prefer the higher speed of the Delta.
I also noticed the switch position and totally agree with Andy, much prefer Delta's placement.

Dan Masshardt

It's good to hear that about Delta's service. I wrote an Amazon review of the Delta 46-460 after purchasing it. Subsequent reviewers have complained about difficulty with service. They did go through a transition in their parts and service. Hopefully this is a sign things have been worked out.
The Jet has a much slower "slow" speed (6o rpm vs. 250) but the Delta has a higher top speed (4000 rpm vs. 3600) ... for turning pens I prefer the higher speed of the Delta.
I also noticed the switch position and totally agree with Andy, much prefer Delta's placement.

Do you turn pens at 4000? Just curious. I need to try pushing my speeds up prob. I haven't had any probs turning at 2000 though.

I never really thought about the lefty righty thing before until Andy mentioned it.

Maybe it's because I'm lefty that I really like the jet switch placement. I can totally see why a right hander might not like that. Also if you are turning bowls the switch on that right side seems much safer in the event of a problem. That might have been their rationale. I know that several bowl turners (who use much bigger lathes than these ones) recommend an on off switch of some kind on the right side or movable.

I guess some of the features and their benefits depend on your turning interests.

You guys spin your stuff a lot faster than I do... I don't even pay attention to the numbers, but I have my belt in the middle and spin blanks on the highest setting and sand on the lowest... sometimes I dibble and dabble somewhere in the middle, but not often.

JohnGreco

I turn at 3,000 rpm (which I think Jet also recommends in their 1221 manual). My old lathe had the power switch to the left and for the first couple of weeks it threw me off but now, as a right handed user, I don't even think about it. I actually think I've come to prefer it because I can fine tune the speed easier with my right hand than my clumsy left hand :p

PenMan1

I cut mostly alternative materials. USUALLY materials that we make.

The reason I cut pens at 4000 RPMS is because that's as fast as my lathe runs. If it ran at 6000, THAT'S where I'd set it. With resins, et al, the faster you spin it and the shaper the cutter, the less money and time you spend sanding and finishing.

I make between 2,800-4,000 pens per year. Time is money. Sand paper is money, too.

Respectfully submitted.

gimpy

GREAT !!!!!
Inspect the out side of package upon arrival
If damaged, make the delivery person make a note of that
on the shipping receipt and get his/her name..
take pictures before you open, if damaged.......
talking from experience,

Dan Masshardt

GREAT !!!!!
Inspect the out side of package upon arrival
If damaged, make the delivery person make a note of that
on the shipping receipt and get his/her name..
take pictures before you open, if damaged.......
talking from experience,

That's one reason I opted to buy from woodcraft brick and mortar.

Not something you want to send back.

gimpy

I would take ALL precautions, more than likely
it will be okay, just protect you investment
just saying........

I will be trying to skip school for the day.

ForumRunner_20130916_144341.png

ForumRunner_20130916_144351.png

Levi Woodard

gimpy

NICE, enjoy, by the way, tell your mom you are green around the gills
and also have ergenities........be safe

Top Bottom