Jet Mini Lathe Live Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fingerworks

I'm using a Jet Mini Lathe for pen turning and have noticed some wear on the point of the live center, i.e. there's a groove in the point from contact with the mandrel end. Does anyone know of an easy way to replace the point if the wear continues?

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

The live center should be what we call "60 degree included angle" which is the most common for metal work. It matches the recess in the mandrel, and is usually of a harder steel.

You can find these live centers many places.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_search.php?critFast=live+center&SearchBy=1

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38573

And of course, ENCO, McMaster, your turning supplier, etc.

daledut

Fred is right.
Here is another source, I got one like this and it is hardened and does not wear.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G5686

Do not get the 60 degree live center from Sears. The tip wears out almost immediately.

Fred in NC

Dale, that is a very heavy duty live center !!! Should last a lifetime for pen turning.

I think it is too bad that the sellers of pen supplies sell the mandrels, and never seem to address this issue. The live center that comes with the wood lathes are designed to hold the tail end of a spindle.

Don't forget about the way to tighten the nut at the end of the mandrel. I finish tightening the nut only after the mandrel is in place, and the live center has been set (not too tight, by the way!!). Then I start the lathe and test for vibration. If the mandrel vibrates, something is wrong, and I will probably get an off-center barrel, or an oval one.

Doghouse

I have almost the same as the grizzly live center. I purchased it from woodcraft, and it is one he77 of a live center. What ever you do, don't hit your elbow with it. [;)]

btboone

The center that Dale shows should hold up a lot better than others. It looks like a good price for a nicely built center. When I first had a CNC lathe years ago, I found out the hard way that the axes X and Z didn't rapid in a straight line from the starting point to ending point. It clipped my live center on a move that should have missed it. That was about a $350 lesson. Doh! The new center I got looked a lot like that one. It never showed the least bit of wear.

Randy_

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />The live center should be what we call "60 degree included angle" which is the most common for metal work. It matches the recess in the mandrel, and is usually of a harder steel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38573

Fred: So let me get this straight. JET sells the mini lathe with all sorts of pen accessories.....kits, chisels, drill bits and wood blanks.....but does not have available either a mandrel or a live center point that are compatable with pen making???

And about the live center shown on the Harbor Freight link.....copy says the max. rated rpms is 2500. Most pens are turned at around 3000 and the JET will turn almost 4000. Is this a problem???

Sorry for all the questions; but this is all new to me and I want to get it right.

Fred in NC

Randy, I don't understand what Jet figures about accessories.

About the live centers, these are designed for turning metals. As such, they are subjected to a lot more stress than you can get from a pen mandrel, which is very light duty. It is just used to make sure that end of the mandrel runs true, you don't put a lot of pressure on it.

The Harbor Freight center, which is the same one as the LittleMachineShop cheaper one, has a single bearing, and it is NOT an axial thrust bearing. So for general metal use it is rated at 2500 RPM. I use one like it all the time, at about 3,000 RPM, and no problems yet.

The heavy duty model, same as the Grizzly, has TWO regular bearings in it. A center with a thrust bearing might cost up to several hundred dollars.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Randy, Randy, Randy. Ask <b>ALL</b> of the questions you can think of. That a <b>MAJOR</b> reason for our existence. We're glad to have you and your questions anytime! [8D]

Fred in NC

Randy, I am not sure which one you are talking about.

The only live center I got from Woodcraft has a set of points of different kinds that can be changed. I don't use it everyday, it is reserved for special uses.

Doghouse

There are 2 ways I use to prevent hitting the point.

1. Remove it when not in use
2. Take the tennis ball off the hitch and put it on the live center [:)]

William Young

How do I take out the removable point from the cup in my Jet mini lathe .
Mine is also worn down from contact with the mandrel. Where do I get exact replacement points for it. The bearing is in great shape so is there any reason I would need to relace the whole unit?
W.Y.

Randy_

William:

The point has a taper on it and is just a press fit in the live center. Stick the drift rod into the back of the live center and just punch it out just like you would pop the drive center out of the headstock.

As to replacements, the JET website has replacement parts. The point is only $1.54; but they want $19.95 for shipping????? I just sent them an email offering the opinion that their shipping was a little steep.....will have to see what they have to say. Several members here have said replacement points are available from Woodcraft. I could not find them on either the web site or in their catalog so I have an email on it's way to Woodcraft as well.

Fred in NC

Look at the point very carefully... if it is a separate piece then it is just like the ones they sell at Woodcraft, and the Morse taper will be hollow.

The point is a taper similar to a Morse taper. Drill a hole in a piece of 2x4" or the like, and using a bolt or rod, hammer it out. This way the bearing is not harmed.

Now, a warning. I have tried that with 2 different live centers, and one of them refused to come out. I would not exceed a reasonable force, or the whole thing could be damaged.

An arbor press could also be used with the wood block.

If you manage to get it out, you can make a replacement tip for use with the mandrels. For this use even aluminum would do and it can be machined right in the wood lathe. Remember the 60 degree 'included' angle. This means each side has a 30 degree angle.

Randy_

My lathe is brand new and the point pops out with almost no pressure at all. I can pop it out with the live center in the tailstock. If you have a live center that has been around the block, a little more "persuasion" may be necessary. A shot of WD-40 might help. Don't get the WD-40, on the bearing, itself, or you might dilute the bearing grease!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom