Jet JWBS-10OS 10 inch Band Saw with Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFromNH

Hi everyone,
Has anyone had any experience with the new Jet 10 inch Band Saw? I have been looking at it lately online. It is on sale at a lot of places for Christmas.

I think Jet has a good reputation, but it is still made in China.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

Just bought one on "Black Friday". Last night I, and a friend, 'fine-tuned' it. I think it is going to be "just the ticket" for me and my needs. (Actually - I didn't buy it. It was a Christmas present from my wife). It did a real good job cutting some blanks - both ripping and cross cutting. I got that one since my shop is too small for a 14" and I am very happy so far.

Dan

yorkie

I've had a Jet bandsaw for a few years and it is a really good piece of machinery and has always made great, clean cuts for me. Consider adding the riser block for my clearance; about $80.

moke

I bought a Jet Bandsaw about 2 months ago, it is an awesome machine. It's quiet, accurate and well made. I would not think twice about doing it again.

ossaguy

I have that same one also,and It's never let me down.

Mostly make blanks from boards and cutting blanks in general.The blade runs real straight,The table extender has come in handy.

The dust collector fittng that accepts like 4 sizes of hose is a neat idea.Adjusting the rollers is easy with the tool-less design.

Steve

RussFromNH

I work a lot with the Scouts in town, I am the Cubmaster and I have two dens. So there will be times that I will need to take it out of my shop and bring it to a Chuckwagon, or cub car build... So I need something that I can rely on for pens, bowls and Scouts...

Thanks guys. I am sold!!!

but the price just went up by $50.00 so I am keeping an eye on it. How much did everyone get theirs for... if you don't mind me asking...

Parson

I think Jet has a good reputation, but it is still made in China.

Actually, JET stuff is made in Taiwan, and they have US representatives there to oversee the quality of each unit as it's being manufactured. I checked this out before I purchased my 10 inch JET band saw, which I'm very happy with except for the damage on the knobs from shipping.

If you order it online expect damage if it's delivered by UPS. If you order it through Rockler the way I did, remove it from the box and inspect the plastic knobs very carefully before you leave the store. Three of mine were cracked ... calling JET to get them replaced is a hassle too. Takes forever to get someone on the phone to explain to them you received it new in the box from a retail store and it contained broken bits and pieces. BTW, I paid about $400 and change for mine.

Taiwanese quality standards are not always higher than that of China, but are usually better from all I've seen. BTW, I've been to Taipei on business and that place is a manufacturing monster of a city. So much of the world's tools and products are made there it's scary.

Last edited:

RussFromNH

I picked it up at Amazon $317 with free shipping. It arrived last night. I will put it together after Christmas and give it a try.

RussFromNH

I put together my new bandsaw and here are my observations:

Amazon – Amazon was easy to work with as always. Click on the product, pay, shipped. No issues

Packaging – The packaging was very good. Everything was packaged in a nice sturdy box with plenty of form fit Styrofoam around all of the handles and the body. No issues

Assembly – The instructions that came with the unit are good. I had no issues putting the unit together on my own. The saw is not that heavy and I was able to easily lift it myself fully assembled. No issues

Adjustments – Here is where I started running into some issues. I went to level the table and tightened the tilt control. With the unit as tight as I could make it I could still easily tilt the table. I tried to adjust the tension with the small plastic screw on the bottom and it does nothing to control the tension. I disassembled the table and removed the tilt unit to see what was going on. Everything looks like it is sealed so I cannot make any adjustments. I called today to see what might be going on and they advised me to take it apart again and see if I am missing any pieces. More to come.

Quality – the unit is all aluminum with a nice heavy cutting table. The extension is convenient, but I don't think I will need it. However, the upper door hinge welds popped so I am going to need a replacement.

Power – Not there… I was cutting a piece of pine 2x4 to see how well it cut. It was fine as long as I did not push too hard, it did stop when I did. But if I went slow and steady it cut fine. I intend on using it mostly for pen blanks and small projects anyway.

Top Bottom