JET AFS-1000B air filter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

I'm going to be adding a shop filter to have on top of my mask and was eyeing the JET AFS-1000B. What are people's thoughts about this vs another option?
For reference I've a small one car garage I work out of that's not well ventilated even if I open the front.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I got one on scratch and ding clearance for about half price and use it in the "dirty" room of my shop/garage and it works well. Moves the air and I use the 5" pleated filter from my home air handler in front of the intake.

You can see the fines moving to it and it stirs a breeze. I had decided to go with two WEN units in my previous shop which was an open 30x35 are to create a circular motion and could get two smaller WEN units for less that the Jet or Rikon unit.

However, I am quite pleased with the Jet.

Darios

I got one on scratch and ding clearance for about half price and use it in the "dirty" room of my shop/garage and it works well. Moves the air and I use the 5" pleated filter from my home air handler in front of the intake.

You can see the fines moving to it and it stirs a breeze. I had decided to go with two WEN units in my previous shop which was an open 30x35 are to create a circular motion and could get two smaller WEN units for less that the Jet or Rikon unit.

However, I am quite pleased with the Jet.
Appreciate that. How often do you need to replace the outer and inner filters themselves?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have an overhead ceiling Jet, purchased about 8-10 yrs ago, earlier rendition to yours. It is a workhorse for me, would buy another in a heartbeat. I turn it on when I get into the shop, even if I do not do any turning/drilling/cutting for 15-20 minutes. Then I turn it off after I have been out 30 minutes. I replace my filters often. When I use the shop 2-3 hrs/day, 2-3 days/wk, the filters show accumulated material after 2-3 months. So, maybe 3 times/year, less when I'm not in the shop as much (like the last 3 yrs). I buy multipacks on Amazon. The $10-15/per change ($45/year) is well worth my lungs, and less than Asthma medications ($300/mth). I also have a Jet Cyclone system, and use a 1/2 mask respirator. (Yea, I'm careful).

Another random thought: Do you have a doorway on the opposite side of your garage door opening? I have installed a mesh screen (Harbor Freight Garage door netting, for bugs) and if I open the back door the air flow will take the wood dust out of the garage. Just a thought.

Brandy

I have aa one car garage and got a Grizzly overhead air filter maybe 2 years ago and it's been a great purchase. When It's off I can see all that dust floating around but when it's on I see maybe 5-10% . I can be sanding or running the tablesaw and it easily keeps up with the dust. I get WEN filters on amazon and change them every 4-5 months.

Darios

The $10-15/per change ($45/year) is well worth my lungs, and less than Asthma medications ($300/mth). I also have a Jet Cyclone system, and use a 1/2 mask respirator. (Yea, I'm careful).

Ah yep. Right now I've the half mask and a big shop vac. But it's all got to be cheaper than COPD.

Another random thought: Do you have a doorway on the opposite side of your garage door opening? I have installed a mesh screen (Harbor Freight Garage door netting, for bugs) and if I open the back door the air flow will take the wood dust out of the garage. Just a thought.

I do, but it's the opening to the house. And the way the wind blows generally if the garage door itself is open everything just gets blown inside, even against the leaf blower if it's time for the seasonal blow out.

mmayo

I am blessed with a big shop and as such I have two in the main room and one in the room where I apply finish. They are great. I really like the 2,4,6 hour timer to turn off after you leave. I run the one in my finishing room on high for at least an hour before I start applying finish like wipe on poly or spar varnish and run it on low for 1-2 hours after applying finish. Change the filters including the intern 1 micron bag. I change bags every 2-3 years.

MRDucks2

I have mine about 2 years and haven't had to change the bags or the 1" yet. The 5" depth filter I use on the intake does the work.

MRDucks2

While the 5" "pre filter" I use is of a higher micron rating, the surface area is also much larger so there is no effect on the motor loading.

The 1" pre filter on the system is flat. So you end up with about 2 square feet of surface the air is being pulled through. The 5" filter I put in front of it has 10 pleats in the filter material each 5" deep. As such, the surface area is approximately 10x that of the 1" filter.
5D390EC9-7EA1-4B6E-A9BF-1829E97BF1F4.jpeg

MontanaAndy

I'm going to be adding a shop filter to have on top of my mask and was eyeing the JET AFS-1000B. What are people's thoughts about this vs another option?
For reference I've a small one car garage I work out of that's not well ventilated even if I open the front.
These air filters are an excellent investment. However they can be built far more cheaply than purchasing one. A couple of decades ago I had a bout with throat cancer. An article in Fine Woodworking quoted a study that showed wood dust as a major cause of throat and related cancers. A search led me to Billpentz.com, a really great site with anything anyone ever needs to know about shop dust collection.... I got the idea there to build my own overhead filter, a simple plywood box with a squirrel cage fan to pull air through filters (I used HEPA furnace filters, three at a time, one behind the other) and exhaust the air through the back of the box. The trick is to size the unit so that it changes all the air in the shop several times in an hour. I'm continually amazed at the amount of really fine dust that is pulled out of the air, even though I was using a two bag Grizzly unit at my machinery.
Mr. Pentz has created a really great site for designing a small shop system, and filled it with tons of valuable information on ducting, figuring air flows, hazards and how to avoid them and links to materials and to even more information. His information is put together by professional engineers and personal experience, and I highly recommend his site.

jrista

I have an overhead ceiling Jet, purchased about 8-10 yrs ago, earlier rendition to yours. It is a workhorse for me, would buy another in a heartbeat. I turn it on when I get into the shop, even if I do not do any turning/drilling/cutting for 15-20 minutes. Then I turn it off after I have been out 30 minutes. I replace my filters often. When I use the shop 2-3 hrs/day, 2-3 days/wk, the filters show accumulated material after 2-3 months. So, maybe 3 times/year, less when I'm not in the shop as much (like the last 3 yrs). I buy multipacks on Amazon. The $10-15/per change ($45/year) is well worth my lungs, and less than Asthma medications ($300/mth). I also have a Jet Cyclone system, and use a 1/2 mask respirator. (Yea, I'm careful).

Hey Mark...I also have a Jet 1000B. I've been buying the outer filters for it at $35 each for over a year now... Just curious where you are finding them for just $10-15 each? I'd love to reduce my costs. When I work regularly in the shop, I usually am out there for 6-8 hours, and that is usually 3-4 times a week. So I go through filters faster than you do....and at $35 each (and I think the woodcraft were I often buy them, was saying the price was going to increase again soon) its really killing me. When I first bought my air filter, which I think was in 2020, I was spending $15 each per filter, but the price climbed quickly after that.

jrista

I picked up a Jet 1000B on sale in 2020. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Definitely helps keep the shop air clean, and its so easy to use. Its got a remote, and has a timer, so I can just set it for 2, 4 or 8 hours and just let it run. It turns itself off, and I periodically replace the filter.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey Mark...I also have a Jet 1000B. I've been buying the outer filters for it at $35 each for over a year now... Just curious where you are finding them for just $10-15 each? I'd love to reduce my costs. When I work regularly in the shop, I usually am out there for 6-8 hours, and that is usually 3-4 times a week. So I go through filters faster than you do....and at $35 each (and I think the woodcraft were I often buy them, was saying the price was going to increase again soon) its really killing me. When I first bought my air filter, which I think was in 2020, I was spending $15 each per filter, but the price climbed quickly after that.
No happy faces for this. Yea, I just checked my past Amazon invoices for a three pack: 2019 - $51.99. 2020 - $59.99.

Now - $46.85 for ONE! $140.55 for three.

I may need yo hold my breath.

jrista

No happy faces for this. Yea, I just checked my past Amazon invoices for a three pack: 2019 - $51.99. 2020 - $59.99.

Now - $46.85 for ONE! $140.55 for three.

I may need yo hold my breath.

Oof... Yeah...the price increase on these has been really painful. Looks like they are now over $11 more expensive than the last time I bought any. I guess I made the right choice by buying a whole stack of them when they were $35. :p

jttheclockman

Not sure what you guys are buying but the filter shown is way too big in both physical size and depth. That is a prefilter. The filter in the unit is your last line of defense and it should be the lowest micron unit. If you are matching the same micron on the prefilter than the inner filter is basically doing nothing. Anyway here is the place I get my airhandling filters from and you can vary the merv ratings. No they are not cheap but again for a prefilter you are over spending in my opinion.

https://filterbuy.com/?utm_source=K...o65OSIUZIgEXyxJ8h3B1hk-tg-dLq_Vgu7GKs=.NuSnbT

jrista

Not sure what you guys are buying but the filter shown is way too big in both physical size and depth. That is a prefilter. The filter in the unit is your last line of defense and it should be the lowest micron unit. If you are matching the same micron on the prefilter than the inner filter is basically doing nothing. Anyway here is the place I get my airhandling filters from and you can vary the merv ratings. No they are not cheap but again for a prefilter you are over spending in my opinion.

https://filterbuy.com/?utm_source=K...o65OSIUZIgEXyxJ8h3B1hk-tg-dLq_Vgu7GKs=.NuSnbT

I'm talking about the prefilter, not the filter inside. The one inside is washable and reusable, and you should only have to replace that if it tears for some reason. The prefilter, however, at least the jet branded one, has skyrocketed in price. I was spending $15 each when I first bought my Jet 1000B. Last time I bought (which was late summer last year), they were $35. If Mark's price is right, then its jumped in price again. As far as I know, this is an electrostatic prefilter, and the material is fairly thick, so it captures and contains quite a lot of dust. I have been vacuuming them out, but that only goes so far, and it doesn't take long before the dust is thick enough to put additional stress on the motor.

I don't have a proper dust collector yet, though, I use a shop vac to try and collect dust during turning and sanding, So I end up with plenty of dust in the air, and my Jet AFS-1000B probably processes more dust than someone who does have a proper dust collector. So my filters handle a heck of a lot of dust. Not sure if a cheaper filter, that doesn't have the same kind of electrostatic material or material thickness, is going to work as well...

jttheclockman

I'm talking about the prefilter, not the filter inside. The one inside is washable and reusable, and you should only have to replace that if it tears for some reason. The prefilter, however, at least the jet branded one, has skyrocketed in price. I was spending $15 each when I first bought my Jet 1000B. Last time I bought (which was late summer last year), they were $35. If Mark's price is right, then its jumped in price again. As far as I know, this is an electrostatic prefilter, and the material is fairly thick, so it captures and contains quite a lot of dust. I have been vacuuming them out, but that only goes so far, and it doesn't take long before the dust is thick enough to put additional stress on the motor.

I don't have a proper dust collector yet, though, I use a shop vac to try and collect dust during turning and sanding, So I end up with plenty of dust in the air, and my Jet AFS-1000B probably processes more dust than someone who does have a proper dust collector. So my filters handle a heck of a lot of dust. Not sure if a cheaper filter, that doesn't have the same kind of electrostatic material or material thickness, is going to work as well...
Again Jon not sure what filters you are using and they have changed that model of air cleaner these days. But that inner filter is not washable. It is cloth and is vacced out. If you wash it you broke the material down and ruined it. I am saying this because I too have an older style unit that was cloned by Jet when they bought the company. The outer filter is washable because it is not the same cloth type as inner filter. Mine is a metal electrostatic filter that I vac off many times and once in awhile I will take outside and wash with a garden hose. That filter has never been changed and still does its job. That prefilter should last a long time. The inner filter does all the fine dust work and needs to replaced depending on use. but many times you can extend the life with a quick vac job. The filter Mike posted photo of is a standard air conditioning filter that is pleated cloth material and is not washable. It is too large for a prefilter on those units. You have to be careful of using over the recommended size filters because now you are stressing the motor . If you want to really look at how well your cleaner is working, look at the backside of the discharge grate and see if there is dust there. If so then dust is getting past the filters or they need cleaning.

Now with all said about air cleaners they are just a first line of defense in combating a dust problem in the shop. But think about it. They can only exchange the air so fast and that dust will get everywhere and you kick it back up in the air the moment you walk in the shop. That back side of the exhaust is not blowing the dust around even more. Dust is so fine and that is why it is a major problem and this goes for a house filter too. Having dust collection at the source is a second line of defense but again it will not collect all the dust. A good dust mask is last line of defense and even if it is a standard disposable N95 mask it will help. This is what I use in my shop whenever I work in there. Have them many places. But a tip do not lay mask down with backside up or it will just collect the dust inside the mask and when you put on that is a big gulp of dust.

https://jettools.com/708732

MRDucks2

Back to the original question:
-The air filter is good.
-You can buy non-OEM branded pre filters for $10 or less each
-You can buy a washable, reusable pre filter for about the price of the Jet branded disposable ones on up. Version FY the performance data.
-You can buy the pocketed inner filter in a washable re-usable version, also.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who does not have an understanding of filter design, ratings or airflow on the forum. Not worth the effort. But feel free to PM me for more conversation or my phone number.

jrista

Again Jon not sure what filters you are using and they have changed that model of air cleaner these days. But that inner filter is not washable. It is cloth and is vacced out. If you wash it you broke the material down and ruined it. I am saying this because I too have an older style unit that was cloned by Jet when they bought the company. The outer filter is washable because it is not the same cloth type as inner filter. Mine is a metal electrostatic filter that I vac off many times and once in awhile I will take outside and wash with a garden hose. That filter has never been changed and still does its job. That prefilter should last a long time. The inner filter does all the fine dust work and needs to replaced depending on use. but many times you can extend the life with a quick vac job. The filter Mike posted photo of is a standard air conditioning filter that is pleated cloth material and is not washable. It is too large for a prefilter on those units. You have to be careful of using over the recommended size filters because now you are stressing the motor . If you want to really look at how well your cleaner is working, look at the backside of the discharge grate and see if there is dust there. If so then dust is getting past the filters or they need cleaning.

Now with all said about air cleaners they are just a first line of defense in combating a dust problem in the shop. But think about it. They can only exchange the air so fast and that dust will get everywhere and you kick it back up in the air the moment you walk in the shop. That back side of the exhaust is not blowing the dust around even more. Dust is so fine and that is why it is a major problem and this goes for a house filter too. Having dust collection at the source is a second line of defense but again it will not collect all the dust. A good dust mask is last line of defense and even if it is a standard disposable N95 mask it will help. This is what I use in my shop whenever I work in there. Have them many places. But a tip do not lay mask down with backside up or it will just collect the dust inside the mask and when you put on that is a big gulp of dust.

https://jettools.com/708732

My inner filter is not really cloth. Its got a few different layers, but I don't think any would really be called cloth. When I read the documentation originally, it said it was a "washable" filter. Whatever, it's "cleanable" and thus reusable. Personally, I put it on top of my trash can, invert the filter, and blow it out with some light pressure compressed air... But I've read about people washing theirs with a hose, especially if things get crusted on (depends on what you do, and what kinds of junk actually get sucked into the air filtration unit). 🤷‍♂️

Again, though, we aren't talking about the inner filter, which SHOULD last for years. Its the outer filter that is the main cost for most overhead air filtration units. The outer filter from Jet, currently costs somewhere between $36-$48, based on just looking around here. This is a blue colored filter, with white cardboard with Jet branding:

These things have increased in price three-fold over the last couple of years... That's rather rough on the pocketbook! Its an electrostatic filter, so its not just passively filtering, its attracting dust as well. Works well, my inner filter has only needed cleaning a couple of times over the last...well, I guess nearly three years now.

Despite the cost of the replaceable filters, the air filter unit itself is excellent, and I highly recommend it. Its rather quiet, too, unless you are at max speed, and I've never had a complaint. Maybe three years isn't really long enough for a true test of endurance, but its a nice unit.

jttheclockman

My inner filter is not really cloth. Its got a few different layers, but I don't think any would really be called cloth. When I read the documentation originally, it said it was a "washable" filter. Whatever, it's "cleanable" and thus reusable. Personally, I put it on top of my trash can, invert the filter, and blow it out with some light pressure compressed air... But I've read about people washing theirs with a hose, especially if things get crusted on (depends on what you do, and what kinds of junk actually get sucked into the air filtration unit). 🤷‍♂️

Again, though, we aren't talking about the inner filter, which SHOULD last for years. Its the outer filter that is the main cost for most overhead air filtration units. The outer filter from Jet, currently costs somewhere between $36-$48, based on just looking around here. This is a blue colored filter, with white cardboard with Jet branding:

These things have increased in price three-fold over the last couple of years... That's rather rough on the pocketbook! Its an electrostatic filter, so its not just passively filtering, its attracting dust as well. Works well, my inner filter has only needed cleaning a couple of times over the last...well, I guess nearly three years now.

Despite the cost of the replaceable filters, the air filter unit itself is excellent, and I highly recommend it. Its rather quiet, too, unless you are at max speed, and I've never had a complaint. Maybe three years isn't really long enough for a true test of endurance, but its a nice unit.
As I said they made changes and it sounds like yours is nothing like mine. I have a cloth very low micron filter inside that you have to replace. No washing. My outer filter is metal and is washable. Mine is single speed. I lined the inside with Styrofoam to deaded the noise. I have had mine for many years and it works well enough for what it suppose to do. Not something that will scrub the air but will capture some of the small dust. I do not know about price increase as you say but do know that type filter is more expensive than a standard furnace filter. Good luck. I am not a filter expert so will not be calling Mike. Many things have increased because they can. No one to control prices these days.

jrista

As I said they made changes and it sounds like yours is nothing like mine. I have a cloth very low micron filter inside that you have to replace. No washing. My outer filter is metal and is washable. Mine is single speed. I lined the inside with Styrofoam to deaded the noise. I have had mine for many years and it works well enough for what it suppose to do. Not something that will scrub the air but will capture some of the small dust. I do not know about price increase as you say but do know that type filter is more expensive than a standard furnace filter. Good luck. I am not a filter expert so will not be calling Mike. Many things have increased because they can. No one to control prices these days.

Ah, gocha. I guess they did redesign the inner filters.

Just curious...do you use the Jet filters, or do you use standard furnace filters? If you do use a standard furnace filter...do they work well? If the price on these things keeps increasing, its going to become a non-trivial recurring cost.

Don Rabchenuk

I also have a Jet and am quite pleased. I would and buy another if it were to fail. I am going to be expanding the length of the shop another 8'x14' and I am seriously thinking about a second filter there just because of the poor circulation there. As for the filters, the following is from the manual "
There are two filters that need to be changed. The outer filter can easily be removed by disengaging the two clips (A, Fig. 7).
Now you can simply pull the filter out, or use a screwdriver to pop the filter out.
The inner filter (A, Fig. 7) can now be pulled out of the unit. The inner filter can be blown out with compressed air.
The filters should be replaced depending on the amount of usage and the environment of your shop. Clogged filters will reduce the amount of air circulation. There is an arrow indicating the air flow direction on the outer filter. Make sure the filter is inserted facing the proper direction."

Personally in for my shop I am buying the first filter from a filter company. I buy merv 11 filters and change them monthly. I last paid $92 dollars for 12.

jttheclockman

Ah, gocha. I guess they did redesign the inner filters.

Just curious...do you use the Jet filters, or do you use standard furnace filters? If you do use a standard furnace filter...do they work well? If the price on these things keeps increasing, its going to become a non-trivial recurring cost.
Jon as I told you I bought mine over 15 years ago or more when I started making pens and set my shop up way before that so it probably was even longer. I needed it more for scrollsawing because I was not making pens back then. I bought it from PSI and the name on the unit is Air Cleaning System #AC 460. They do not make this unit any more and it was made in the USA by PSI Woodworking. PSI has since gone to selling Jets which are a clone of this unit. basically as is Wen and others. Basically all work the same way. Some have remotes, some have different speed settings, some are more sleek looking. The Newest Jet looks like a piece of furniture. I could not find a photo and I did find a person selling one on ebay and he had photos. This is what my unit looks like.
https://www.davesindustrialsurplus.com/psi-air-cleaning-system-460-dis2463

When I bought this unit I bought extra filters back then and the only filter I need to buy is the inside pleated cloth filter. I am down to the last one and replaced last year. I always mark the side of my unit when I replace filters to keep a record of. I do use a vac on it on occassion to extend the life but you need to be careful not to break open the strings that hold the pleats together. They are designed that way for max efficiency. There is no washing this filter. Not a good idea to blow them out. You will **** the neighbors off. The outer filter is metal and hard plastic and does not need changing. I just vac it and at times will wash that one. When I have to buy another filter I will buy from Jet or place that make same kind. I know I sound like a broken record but again I am not a filter expert but can tell you having the right filters and balance between them is essential for optimum performance. You start adding addition filters in front of the unit or in a dust collector of any kind you now force that motor to work harder and it will not be as efficient removing dust. This goes for your HVAC. Just ask an installer and they will tell you if you go too high on the Merv rating of filter and your unit can not handle the extra pressure it takes, you have break downs. Good luck.

Top Bottom