Jet 1220VS on/off switch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement on/off switch for my Jet 1220VS? The full part number is JWL-1220VS-198. I can find them online, or right from Jet, but it's not cheap. I'm finding prices around $40.00 and higher, including shipping. Anyone know of a better deal? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Roger,
If you take that switch off your lathe and open it up you may find you can, straighten the contact strips. IF, this is the rocker type switch. I did this back in '08 PTownsubbie had the same problem a few months later, then someone else had the same problem. Fred explained it better than I am but, it's really NOT that difficult else, I wouldn't have been able to fix mine :redface::biggrin:

Hope this helps save you $40.00+ shipping!:wink:

pianomanpj

Roger,
If you take that switch off your lathe and open it up you may find you can, straighten the contact strips. IF, this is the rocker type switch. I did this back in '08 PTownsubbie had the same problem a few months later, then someone else had the same problem. Fred explained it better than I am but, it's really NOT that difficult else, I wouldn't have been able to fix mine :redface::biggrin:

Thanks for the great tips, Chuck! But unfortunately I can't use them - my switch is completely worn out. The hinge points on the contact strip are seriously worn, and almost completely gone on one side! :eek: The slots that these points rest in are also worn considerably, so the body of the switch is junk, too. In fact, the contact points have been arcing so badly that they are mostly eroded away and completely covered in carbon, soooo...... no rehabbing this baby!

As fortune would find it, I did find two inexpensive sources. The first, eBay. (Of course!) $5.57 for the switch and $5.00 shipping, with free shipping on additional items. At that price, I ordered two! Here's the link:

Power First 2VLT7 Toggle Switch SPST 2 Conn Maint on Off | eBay

The second source, and the one that will be around after the eBay auction ends, is from Grainger. Their price is $6.48, and shipping to me would have been $10.48. This, too, is still a much better deal that $40.00+++. Here's their link:

WP5932506 Power First Toggle Switches - Grainger Industrial Supply

Thanks, all, for your input. It is greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

jondavidj

Have you called Jet? They can direct you to someone or even ship the part to you. I live about half an hour away from them and had the same problem, and they fixed it right away. I had an issue with my metal lathe and was lucky to live close enough to go get the parts, but they would have shipped them to me.

pianomanpj

Have you called Jet? They can direct you to someone or even ship the part to you. I live about half an hour away from them and had the same problem, and they fixed it right away. I had an issue with my metal lathe and was lucky to live close enough to go get the parts, but they would have shipped them to me.

Jon, my lathe is now several years old and well out of warranty. I did not call them as their cost (according to their website) was still quite high. I wanted to check other options before forking out that kind of cash.

pianomanpj

Roger,

Thanks for the great tips, Chuck! But unfortunately I can't use them - my switch is completely worn out. The hinge points on the contact strip are seriously worn, and almost completely gone on one side! :eek: The slots that these points rest in are also worn considerably, so the body of the switch is junk, too. In fact, the contact points have been arcing so badly that they are mostly eroded away and completely covered in carbon, soooo...... no rehabbing this baby!

As fortune would find it, I did find two inexpensive sources. The first, eBay. (Of course!) $5.57 for the switch and $5.00 shipping, with free shipping on additional items. At that price, I ordered two! Here's the link:

Power First 2VLT7 Toggle Switch SPST 2 Conn Maint on Off | eBay

The second source, and the one that will be around after the eBay auction ends, is from Grainger. Their price is $6.48, and shipping to me would have been $10.48. This, too, is still a much better deal that $40.00+++. Here's their link:

WP5932506 Power First Toggle Switches - Grainger Industrial Supply

Thanks, all, for your input. It is greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

A quick follow-up...

I just received my order from eBay (see link above) and the switches are EXACTLY identical to the one that was in my Jet. Same make, same model, same everything.

One thing to be aware of when you're shopping around for this switch: it comes in two configurations. Make sure you get the quick connect (spade) terminals and not the screw terminals.

Hopefully I won't be in the market for another switch for a long time to come. :biggrin:

pianomanpj

It looks like an ordinary on/off switch, that you should be able to get from any electronics or auto spares supply store. Just check that it has the appropriate voltage rating.
Kryn

Agreed - there is nothing all that special about this switch. However, the price that I paid was on par or better than I would have gotten at a local electrical supply house. Plus, I don't have to worry about if it will fit the panel correctly, have the correct size terminals, or fit into the allotted space inside the variable speed controller. If you want to shop around for a cheaper switch, you must also make sure that it is rated for the correct amperage in addition to ensuring the voltage is correct. :)

Top Bottom