Jet 1014 tailstock problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I have an older Jet Mini 1014... about 5 or 6 years old. Lately I've been doing more peppermills than pens, and doing a lot of drilling on the lathe with bigger forstner bits. The tailstock began to get harder to turn and sometimes a lot of trouble to back out of the pieces.

I took the tailstock spindle out to clean it, thinking I had dust and grit in the run... when I pulled the spindle and removed the traveler bolt, I noticed that the "c" clamp had appeared to migrate closer to the threads and there was actually some milling of the metal where the "c" clamp sat.. I can't find a picture to see if this is correct or not.. but I don't think I'm supposed to have a 1/2 inch wide groove under the "c" clamp... now there is a delay in the spindle travel.. I'll actually get a full turn or more on the wheel before the spindle moves in either direction.
I've emailed Jet today with this problem, but no response yet... expect to hear from them tomorrow or Friday.

Does anyone know if you can get new parts for the tail stock without having to buy the whole piece.. in my manual it stated that the tailstock was a full assembly, but I can take it apart, should it not be possible to buy individual parts?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advise.

Randy_

I'm not sure I fully understand the nature of your problem; but to answer your specific question, the tailstock spindle has a JET part number of JML-55. You can find an exploded drawing here. http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/man_708351.pdf

I would expect that a replacement spindle is available if it turns out that is the part you need.

AFTim

I'm having the same difficulty with my Delta Midi when I do peppermill drilling. Same as Chuck, I took it apart and cleaned it. Only minor thing I noticed was some small ridges on the spindle that holds the chuck/live center. Also for a chuck that has markings out to 3 inches, I can only run 7/8" at a time before I have to move the tail stock up...Is this a good excuse to tell LOML that I need an upgrade to a "One-Way"???? Probably won't work...she'll just say "turn harder" or "it'll build up those forearm muscles"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom