Jack-O-Lantern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from truittsosebee

truittsosebee

Thought I would share this, as Halloween is coming soon. Here is a pumpkin that I turned on my lathe. It may sound crazy, but I've made one for each of the last 4 years, and people really like them. (If you are gonna try one, buy SEVERAL pumpkins; they like to explode on the lathe).

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thought I would share this, as Halloween is coming soon. Here is a pumpkin that I turned on my lathe. It may sound crazy, but I've made one for each of the last 4 years, and people really like them. (If you are gonna try one, buy SEVERAL pumpkins; they like to explode on the lathe).
Really cool, I can't imagine the mess though.:wink:

snyiper

Wow....LOL thats about all I can say Wow!!! I would have never thought about turning a pumpkin. Great idea and great job!!! Now how messy is a rotating exploding pumpkin....LOL?

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is NEAT! GREAT IDEA!

Here is another one: :biggrin:

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• PUMPKIN.jpg
    PUMPKIN.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 349

truittsosebee

To answer a couple of questions:
It says "Extreme Pumpkins" on it because I entered it in their contest.
I use a gouge and a hollowing tool; you'd be surprised how much "wall thickness" is on a pumpkin.
They last about a week if you keep it regrigerated except when you are displaying it.
Yep, VERY messy indeed. Lathe goes outside for these.
And, yes, the rounder the pumpkin the better. I usually buy the "pie pumpkins" from the grocery store.
I mount it between centers, turn a spigot on the bottom end, mount in Nova chuck and support with tailstock, turn the outside, cut the top off, then hollow, then part spigot off. I re-mounted the top between centers to turn a spigot that fits into the hole on top. Hollowing is when they usually explode if they are going to, whole process only takes about 10 minutes. Hint: DON'T try to sand, LOL.)
I won $100 three years in a row for a pumpkin carving contest at work. The fourth year, I think the judges were tired of seeing them and I came in third, which only pays $25.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
SOUNDS great, win $100, spend $50 on pumpkins, a million hours of turning time, pumpkin guts everywhere------wow, where do I sign up????

Congrats again!!!!

I won't be competing this year (or any other, actually)!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Ed, wouldn't it be easier(and neater) to turn one out of wood and just use it again year after year. I guess I just don't understand holidays, either that or I'm getting ready for a nice big holiday "BAH HUMBUG". Nice work on the pumpkin anyways.

Top Bottom